IGNORED

240Z - 280Z Comparisons

Duckman

I'm new to this forum and I'm not currently a Z-Car owner. However, I've previously owned a '71 240Z and a '77 280Z when each of them was new. Yeah, I'm that old.

I loved my 240Z but was always disappointed in the 280Z. Although the power increase from 150 to 170 with the addition of displacement and fuel injection was great and the 5-speed tranny was a welcome addition to the 280Z, the car was heavy and clumsy.

I'm now thinking about getting a First Generation Z-Car ('70-72 240 or '77-78 280) but have some basic questions for which I can't find answers. Before anyone suggests running a Forum search, I've tried it but couldn't find the right questions or answers for my purposes.

Here are some things I know about the cars. The early 240Zs weighed 2400 lbs. and were light and nimble. Power, at 150 bhp, was OK. The cars were nimble and tossable. The 280Zs gained approximately 800 lbs. (3185 lbs.) due at least in part to the silly bumper requirements of the day. The suspension was also changed to increase ride height, also at least in part to meet the new bumper regulations. Power of the L28 engine was up (170 bhp) and it was smooth as silk, due in large measure to the addition of fuel injection.

Now for my questions.

Did the goofy-looking bumpers account for all of the horrible weight gain?

Was there something else going on under the skin that numbed the steering so much?

How easy is it to find and install '70-72 bumpers on a '77-78 Z?

Would that change fix most of the weight problem?

I'm assuming the ride height and handling issues on a '77-78 Z-Car can be remedied by replacement suspension components.

Is there anything else I'm missing or should know before going forward?

Thanks in advance to all for any help you can offer.

I'm no expert on either the 240 or the 280, I've owned 1 240 and 3 280's and have found that with the use of some of the new aerodynamic body kits which lose the bumpers on the 280 which will drop a lot of lb's and some fairly easy suspension mods that the 280 can be made to handle and perform very well. While my current EFI system has been a PITA to get right, once done can be pretty low maintainence, but I still love the sound and performance of carbs. So its really a choice of which car you like I love the 240 set up in pristine concours condition.

Welcome Duckman!

The weight you list for the 240 is correct, but not the 280 weight. I believe you are mixing curb and GVW weights. The actual weight of a '77-'78 is around 2800 lbs. The big bumpers account for about 80 of those 400 pounds. The rest of the weight is a combination of extra carpet, FI system, rear swaybar, body weight for stiffness, door beams, and crash standards.

The 240 bumpers will make a 280 feel much lighter because the weight comes off the far ends which reduces inertia of the 280. There are brackets available and the swap is reportedly fairly easy. I have not done it yet, but many have and it doesn't sound too bad. Good chrome 240 bumpers are getting hard to find, but there are SS replicas ($$$) and fiberglass replicas. Since the small chrome bumpers do almost nothing anyways in a crash, fiberglass isn't a bad way to go. They also make CF bumpers, but they are mostly fiberglass with some CF and the quality isn't great.

The 280 is heavier, but if small bumpers are installed, the rest of the added weight isn't "bad" weight. The FI system is one thing you can ditch if you like the simplicity of carbs. The FI system was great back in 1975, but it's a dinosaur today. If you want FI, install an aftermarket system like Megasquirt.

All S30's can be made to ride and handle like you want. The best advice is to buy the best car you can afford and don't worry about the model. I'd rather have a rust-free 280 than a rusty 240 for example.

Duckman,

The best of both worlds are the early production 260Z's. They have the small bumpers, the stiffer chassis and carbs. Of course the flat-top carbs used on the '73 240 & '74 260 are horrid, but it's easier to install round-tops on a 260 then modifying a 280 (but it's an easy modification).

If I ever come across a 260 with a rust-free body, at the right price, I'm buying one for a resto-mod car.

Duckman,

The best of both worlds are the early production 260Z's. They have the small bumpers, the stiffer chassis and carbs. Of course the flat-top carbs used on the '73 240 & '74 260 are horrid, but it's easier to install round-tops on a 260 then modifying a 280 (but it's an easy modification).

If I ever come across a 260 with a rust-free body, at the right price, I'm buying one for a resto-mod car.

I completely agree! The interior is nicer in the 260Z, it came stock with a rear ARB, and looks just like a 240Z if you're comparing an early 260Z. They don't get much respect so you can find them cheaper, but sssh, don't tell anyone. ;)

I totally agree with last two posts. I just didn't want to bring that up. A really nice 260 is hard to find. I attended a Car Show this past weekend, a guy said, Nice Z Car, 260 never seen one. It looks like a 240.

The only hazard with the 260Z is buying replacement parts. It's really easy to get the wrong parts because of the changeover from 240 to 280. My late 260 has been quite a challenge. I've had people state that all 260Z's came with points, yet mine has (had) an electronic dizzy. I swapped it out for a ZX unit due to a bad control unit. The 260 control units are a one year only part and they are hard to find.

The only hazard with the 260Z is buying replacement parts. It's really easy to get the wrong parts because of the changeover from 240 to 280. My late 260 has been quite a challenge. I've had people state that all 260Z's came with points, yet mine has (had) an electronic dizzy. I swapped it out for a ZX unit due to a bad control unit. The 260 control units are a one year only part and they are hard to find.

I've found that once you dive in and do some research, it's really not that bad. Some parts are 240Z, some are 280Z and a few are 260Z only.

FWIW, all 260Z's came with electronic ignition, a first in the US Z-line.

Agree Leon. The only problem is that a 260 can sometimes be more difficult for owners who haven't already owned earlier and later Z cars. My 260 is the 11th S30 I've owned in the last 25 years, so I can usually figure out pretty quickly if a needed part is 240, 280, or 260 unique. It also helps that it's a race car and I've touched every part on the car, so there is little mystery left.