IGNORED

Tuning 40 DCOE Weber 151 on an L24

Opening slowly or mashing it results in the same spike in AFR and engine shudder. 

Because I can't actually change my chokes I haven't been bothered by what they are.  Are possible solutions different depending on the size of the chokes?  E.g. if a choke were smaller I'd look at my idle jet vs. looking at my main jet if I had larger choke?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm learning here.

Opening slowly or mashing it results in the same spike in AFR and engine shudder.  Because I can't actually change my chokes I haven't been bothered by what they are.  Are possible solutions different depending on the size of the chokes?  E.g. if a choke were smaller I'd look at my idle jet vs. looking at my main jet if I had larger choke?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm learning here.

yes. the choke size determines the air speed and suction at the main jet outlet, which determines when the main jet comes in (in part). so with a big choke, you can run out of progression holes before the main jet kicks in and it goes lean and the answer is to fit smaller chokes or possibly add progression holes or if its marginal you can get away with just larger idle jets and make the progression phase richer to cover the transition to main jets.

with small chokes, you're probably just lean through the progression phase and bigger idle jets/richer idle holder wil fix it (and you turn down the idle screw so its not too rich at idle).

why do you say your chokes can't be changed?

Ah right, the 42 DCOEs! I still think it would be helpful to have one out and measure it. Perhaps after you've checked the float levels.

Is there a gap between the two progression holes, or will the throttle plate start uncovering the 2nd as soon as it finishes the first?

Do you think you can position thr throttle pedal at the problem point while the car is stationary?

You could get someone to look at the progression holes for where the throttle plate is when the problem occurs. after the 1st hole or after the 2nd.

• 3 years later...