IGNORED

240z Tail Light Shroud Color

ksbeta

Ran Across DatsunPartsLLC's eBay posting today for a rattle can of paint for restoring the 240z Tail Light shroud. Great, except that it's $30/can, plus another $12 for shipping. I can't seem to find much on the subject; does anyone know a good alternative for getting close to the original color that doesn't does $42 for a can of spraypaint?

Thanks much,

Bill

Ref: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Nissan-OEM-Z-240Z-True-Taillight-Panel-Grey-NEW-Factory-Color-Paint-Can-/400290950344?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d33332cc8&vxp=mtr#ht_1162wt_1037

If you don't need exact, go down to autoparts and look at the selection of Dupli-Color stuff. Home depot also has some interesting paints. I ended up using flat black and I really prefer the look.

I bought a can from Les - took it to the PPG shop in my hometown - had them mix up some PPG paint to color with some clear mixed in - and air'd it on. Turned out beautiful and a much better protected coat of paint. Then I ebayed the rattle can and got my money back. Worked great for me and the tail finisher is painted correctly................PPG is not cheap though. My hometown Auto Paint Supply house can custom mix a little as 2 ounces - if you mix that 50/50 with a good reducer it works great.

Here is a link to what I did for my Z, the results were fantastic and it looks like a factory finish.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?13593-Color-for-grill-rear-tail-light-panel&p=90742&viewfull=1#post90742

That is the paint I used, however, because of the 'gloss' I put on 2 light coats of clear matt finish. The same process was used on the grill and wheel covers.

Bonzi Lon

My thoughts on the subject from many years ago. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?6128-What-is-the-correct-color-for-the-rear-tailight-panel&highlight=rear+valance+color

It appears as though some posts from the thread have been deleted - doesn't surprise me. So please don't take my condescending tone out of context! It is my belief that the "correct" color matches the hubcaps and the front grill. A charcoal / metalic dark grey. It is a satin finish but not rough in texture, in-other-words, you can wax the finish.

• 3 weeks later...
I bought a can from Les - took it to the PPG shop in my hometown - had them mix up some PPG paint to color with some clear mixed in - and air'd it on. Turned out beautiful and a much better protected coat of paint. Then I ebayed the rattle can and got my money back. Worked great for me and the tail finisher is painted correctly................PPG is not cheap though. My hometown Auto Paint Supply house can custom mix a little as 2 ounces - if you mix that 50/50 with a good reducer it works great.

Do you have the "mix" info for the PPG paint? The shop I go to can do about anything.