IGNORED

10 Worst Car Names of All Time

Pat Carr

Chevy Nova "doesn't go" well in Spanish, and it wasn't the "new star" they thought it would be. I love "iron"y. Sorry, but what linguist can resist a thread like "worst names"? Maybe that's why numbers work better. Wasn't a problem until I was getting a title and plating my '76 BMW 2002 in 2002. The BMV kept trying to tax me for a new 2002 BMW. I doubt BMW thought about that problem back in the 70's. Good day everyone!

Camaro, El Camino, and Corvette are some other peculiar names GM had. There is no dictionary definition of "Camaro" but it is probably some kind of Spanish term for a wild horse, like Mustang would be. The same goes for El Camino. Corvette was borrowed from the fast naval ship, but doesn't mean anything to us Americans otherwise.

Camaro, El Camino, and Corvette are some other peculiar names GM had. There is no dictionary definition of "Camaro" but it is probably some kind of Spanish term for a wild horse, like Mustang would be. The same goes for El Camino. Corvette was borrowed from the fast naval ship, but doesn't mean anything to us Americans otherwise.
I've heard the story of Corvette being name after a Italian warship but I've never heard of Camaro having any type of translation. Always though it was just a 'made up' word. El Camino tranlates 'the road' or 'the way' in Spanish IIRC.

Chevy Nova "doesn't go" well in Spanish, and it wasn't the "new star" they thought it would be.
Not really true but always seems to come up in car name discussions. That would only work if the car was named 'No va' instead of 'Nova':

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp

Edited by sblake01