IGNORED

Clock repair/restore

ZCCOR#109

Ron, Thanks for your valued input on this thread.

My 280Z clock worked when I got the car. The PO said he removed it and cleaned and lubed:( it. It worked for about six months then stopped altogether. After reading your posts I think I know why.

Chas

I reversed engineered the 280 in 2000 to fix my own clock.

I did the same thing about a year ago. Then some time later after I was done, I found that article. Haha! I gotta learn to look first before I reinvent the wheel. I'm not complaining though... My clock works great and I know why. :)

Thanks for the link to that article. I have a copy, but have no idea where I found it.

• 6 years later...
On 11/10/2013 at 6:47 PM, Captain Obvious said:

I did the same thing about a year ago. Then some time later after I was done, I found that article. Haha! I gotta learn to look first before I reinvent the wheel. I'm not complaining though... My clock works great and I know why. :)

Thanks for the link to that article. I have a copy, but have no idea where I found it.

Send me the details... I can't find the clasic site anymore!

• 1 year later...

Had planned to use Zclocks to repair my 73 240z clock based on comments here.  Thought the $149 would be a fair price.  Just checked his site.  
The price is now $320. A bit pricey.  Any other suggestions "reasonably" priced?

Oh, I did find someone on ebay selling NOS 200SX clocks. I bought one to see if I could transfer the works into a 240Z clock. It was a fail. The mounting points were different, and I am not clever enough to fabricate any adaptations.

Had planned to use Zclocks to repair my 73 240z clock based on comments here.  Thought the $149 would be a fair price.  Just checked his site.  
The price is now $320. A bit pricey.  Any other suggestions "reasonably" priced?

Steve J 

Thanks for the input.  Looks like a good alternative.  Haven't taken mine apart yet.  After I do, I'll try oiling it as suggested in other post.  If that doesn't work. I'll go with your method.  The clock you suggested sell new on ebay for $65.  I'll let you all know what I find and how it goes.  Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

SteveJ,  I read your write up on replacing the internals in your clock and had a few questions.  Did you use the original glass from the old clock or the glass from the new on?  Likewise, did you use the reset knob from the old clock or the new one?  I think I'm going to attempt to do this and I'm trying to get as much info as possible before tackling it.

Just thought I would add a couple of comments. 

The prices that are being mentioned are from 2012. This was for a 240 clock converted to a quartz unit. Costs on everything has really gone up. Look at what gas prices are today. 

If your talking about converting to a quartz  mechanism you first have to find a quartz clock and then refurbish/repair the mechanism. The cost for a quartz mechanism, Kanto Seiki, use to be $20, in 2012 , but today everyone thinks their clock is worth over $100 because it says quartz. Most quartz clocks don't work correctly or need major repair. This gets into trying to find parts, which are not available. In my shop I have to mold gears for the mechanisms I use because parts are not available . Finally you have to modify any quartz mechanism you use to fit the clock housing, especially the 240. This all takes time and patience.

The current Kanto Seiki quartz mechanism I use has 17 unique parts I have to fabricated/modify so that it will work in the 240 clock housing.

I'm currently working on using a different quartz mechanism that is available, cost effective, and will work in the 240 clock housing. However, it 's not a plug and play as and will still require many modification to the mechanism. My goal is to significantly reduce the price of a 240/280 clock converted to a quartz unit.

The right up on the Equss quartz clock was good , but left out a lot of detail. I have done this conversion years ago and it's not easy and you have to fabricate or modify nearly every part.  It can be done, but plan on spending several weeks getting everything to fit and work. 

Just my 2c......Ron