IGNORED

E85

Dwigley

Big rubber gasket in the mechanical pump. I'm running an electric pump but I'm sure there is rubber in there somewhere. I would think the steel fuel tank, needle and seat assembly at the float, and the nozzle would be the main obstacles. I've noticed a couple of companies building E85 capable 4150 Holley carburetors. It would be neat if someone(Bruce) made an E85 Hitachi.

• 2 months later...

I have a couple questions, why would you want to run e85 in your engine?

I have a 2009 Suburban which runs flexfuel, pump gas or e85. I used to use e85

quite a bit and found no advantage to it. My mileage dropped, my horsepower dropped,

and cost-wise, for a cent or two per mile less, had to fill up more often, and less pick-up.

The price in my opinion is a scam. As the gas prices go up, the e85 price tracks right

along with it, although it contains up to 85% ethanol. The gas part, even if it doubled,

shouldn't raise the overall price of the fuel that much. I'm totally convinced the numbers

are artificial.

I was lead to believe the problem with the rubber had to do with methanol, not ethanol,

am I wrong?

Pardon me for jumping in here, couldn't resist.

Jim

I was lead to believe the problem with the rubber had to do with methanol, not ethanol,

am I wrong?

Jim

There is a saying, "The dose makes the poison." Higher levels of ethanol will affect rubber more than lower concentrations. I would also speculate that the higher level of ethanol would allow more water absorption into the gasoline, increasing corrosion in the steel components, as well.

• 1 month later...

John:

You are right about the higher compression ratio, that's mainly why alcohol is used in indy cars,

but they are using methanol. I worked 32 years on the circuits, did fire/rescue. I worked

in the pits along with all of the big boys. The indy people also

claimed it was safer than gasoline, probably true, but you couldn't see the flames. You saw

drivers dancing on the ground, paint wrinkling, shadows of the heat waves, grass burning,

clothing starting to burn, etc. but the good thing, plain ole water put it out and cooled too.

Also, what is fuel drier? Nothing more than alcohol, since it has an affinity for water.

Here on the left coast there is no source for ethanol. It all comes from the midwest, shipped

out in tanker cars, then blended locally with gasoline to produce e85. There was a facility

in Stockton, CA that processed ethanol but it closed down.

Don't want to get political here, but e85 is a scam, I went back to gasoline. I bought some regular

a couple days ago for a discounted price of $4.65 a gallon, and I remember gas wars years ago of

less than 24 cents a gallon.

Jim