IGNORED

Seeking input!

newtonhubcap

Morrning all, I have 4 sets of aluminum rims (snow-flake, and era correct 5-slot) I am getting ready to pull down from rafters and clean and prep to restore. I did some searching onsite and did not come up with any discussion of refinishing the rims but to seal them in a clear powder-coating coating? Will take the rims in to be hot -tank washed to remove all road grime and grease, sand, then polish rims, then seal in a clear powder-coat finish?

My question, am I off my rocker for using powder coatings or go with the available products like dupli-color or Eastwood?

Enjoy your weekend!

Newtonhubcap

I had a set of period correct Appliance "Mesh" wheels and was planning to refresh them. I ended up bringing them to a local shop here in Austin who actually recommended re-machining the wheels on a CNC machine. I was very nervous about doing this as the wheels were not replacable, but I went with their recommendation anyway. The resulting product was unbelievable. Better than when I purchased them new. I did a write up on this on the forum and you can find it here along with some pictures.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?43224-Appliance-Wheel-Refinishing&highlight=appliance+wheels

I would bet that there is someone in your area that can provide the same service if you are interested.

Mike.

Not off your rocker at all Newton.. I had a pair of Modern mesh style wheels restored late last year. I had the center areas powder coated and the rim polished. You'll have to talk to your powder coater and find out if it will adhere to a polished surface as it may not. Have the polishing done before you have any parts powder coated.

Tom

Attached are a 'before and after' of my wheels...

post-12393-1415081783388_thumb.jpg

post-12393-14150817834476_thumb.jpg

Guys, thanks for your thoughts and recommendations. Like I figured there are other options to doing all this "restore". Mike, never thought about having the rims in a sense "re-milled" using cnc. Good write on it. Rainman, good to see others see the problem with polishing and powder-coating adhereing to polished surfaces. Guess, I was hoping someone would say done that and worked great but guess I will be having that discussion with my poweder-coater!

Thanks again for wealth of knowledge!

Newtonhubcap