IGNORED

Carb Tune up tool

tamo3

Hi,

I was wondering which tool should I purchase to tune up balancing for my '72 240z SU carb. Later on, I'm planning to upgrade to triple Carb. Thus, I would like to use both carb with one tool if applicable.

Should I get

SYNCHROMETER

http://www.piercemanifolds.com/product_p/ste%20sk.htm

or

Edelbrock Uni-Syn Carburetor Balancing Instruments

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-4025/

or any other alternate suggestion.

Also, I will be appreciated if you can recommend good website to purchase.

Thanks!

The Unisyn is clunky at best, and the colortune is more of a novelty. Get an STE-SK syncrometer, and you will love it. It doesn't choke the carb (like a unisyn) and is very easy to use. It works great on the SUs as well as the Webers.

Also, a Wideband O2 sensor and gauge are an invaluable tool for fine tuning your fueling, whether you have carbs or EFI. With the SUs, you can probably get by without a WBO2, but you're really going to want it with triples as they have multiple circuits to play with.

Tamo3-

Actually - everybody above is correct kinda - you really need to get your carbs balanced (that is step number one). Then you need to get your Air Fuel ratio correct and balanced correctly as well. The colortune will assist with that but it is really worthless..... IMO What you really need is a air fuel gauge once you get your balance finished and set. The AF Ratio will allow for true reading and not to read your plugs (which everybody reads a little differently). A air fuel gauge will run somewhere between $100 and $300 . Once installed you will know how your carbs and engine are performing - rich or lean. I do strongly believe that this is the ultimate gauge for single - double - triple carbs to lock and load your maximum air and fuel ratio for your individual engine performance..............IMO.

Back to basics - step one is to buy the STE-SK syncrometer - I own all of the above and the syncrometer is the one I reach for every time to start my carb setting.

Edited by Travel'n Man

Yes, forget about the colortune. As I said, it's just a novelty item.

Yes, forget about the colortune. As I said, it's just a novelty item.

I wholeheartedly disagree with that statement. It is ONE tool used to tune the mixture. I use this, along with my ears.

If one is looking to extract every last bit of horsepower out of their Z, a Colortune is ineffective and crude when compared to other methods. However, I'm not looking for maximum performance, simply a smooth running engine. In that context the Colortune gets me to a 90-95% correct position, and my ear and experience gets me to where I want to be.

To abolish a Colortune to the bottom of the bin because you have a more precise (and expensive) method is quite disingenuous to the average weekend wrencher.

I payed $30 for a Colortune and have a Z that runs to my satisfaction (which I have to admit, is a very high standard). I can complete a full sync (including the time to remove and replace the airbox) in ten minutes. In that regard I think the Colortune is an effective and worthwhile tool.