IGNORED

VIN lookup?

galatea Z

hello everyone. my name is jeremy and i am new to the forum. after reading a few posts, i can tell that the members here are very educated on z cars. ive learned a lot from you guys and ive only been on this site a little less than a week.

anyways, i am thinking about making an offer on this 71 fairlady listed on CL

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2820420592.html

VIN: S3004679

i took a look at this car this past weekend and it is an absolute beauty. i was wondering if anyone can look up the VIN for me and give me any info on this car. or possibly point me in the right direction? any additional info on the car would greatly be appreciated such as what options came with the car, original color, etc. ive tried a few sites online but the model year is a 71 and their VIN checks do not go that far back.

again, im new to this site so please excuse me if im posting noob threads :)... i tried to search but came back with no results. im hoping to be as knowledgeable as the rest of you guys here... thanks!!

Unfortunately, there's nothing like Carfax for cars prior to about 1982 when they started using the standardized 17 digit VIN. But the one you link is a non-USA car and has been discussed a little on this site already. Your thread seems a little strange considering you've already posted in the thread I speak of......why not just ask your question there instead of starting a new thread?

Edited by sblake01

Early VIN numbers were devoid of much useful info. HLS30 means the S-30 body style (the 240Z, 260Z, and 280Z -- i.e. through 1978). Then 4679 means the obvious -- the 4679th one produced. That's all.

I'm not too familiar with the 240 specifically, but if it's like a 280, there's a color code sticker in the engine compartment on the frame member just forward of the radiator on the passenger side. There's also a plate on the driver side of the engine compartment with the original engine number and other other specs. The number of the engine is stamped on the passenger side of the engine block. For $20k, the car should come with pretty complete records. Check those too.

The conventions might be a bit different on this particular car, as it's a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) car -- sort of a rare bird around here. Consider the righthand drive carefully. Personally, I think I would almost never pass another car if I were driving on the right. I also can't imagine shifting with my left hand, although I suppose I'd eventually get accustomed to it.

Edited by FastWoman

Early VIN numbers were devoid of much useful info. HLS30 means the S-30 body style (the 240Z, 260Z, and 280Z -- i.e. through 1978). Then 4679 means the obvious -- the 4679th one produced. That's all.

I'm not too familiar with the 240 specifically, but if it's like a 280, there's a color code sticker in the engine compartment on the frame member just forward of the radiator on the passenger side. There's also a plate on the driver side of the engine compartment with the original engine number and other other specs. The number of the engine is stamped on the passenger side of the engine block. For $20k, the car should come with pretty complete records. Check those too.

The conventions might be a bit different on this particular car, as it's a JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) car -- sort of a rare bird around here. Consider the righthand drive carefully. Personally, I think I would almost never pass another car if I were driving on the right. I also can't imagine shifting with my left hand, although I suppose I'd eventually get accustomed to it.

Not exactly. In the typical US 240Z VIN, the H means L24 engine (or L28 on a 280Z VIN), the L means left-hand drive, and obviously the S30 signifies the body style. We are discussing a JDM Fairlady, which came with an L20A (no H in the VIN) and right-hand drive (No L in VIN).

Also, JDM cars did not have an engine number on the ID plate in the engine bay.

Edited by LeonV

The VIN is S30-04679 which denotes a Japanese market, right-hand drive, L-20 engined Fairlady built around mid January to early February 1971. I attached a scan of 1971 model variants for the Japanese market (probably credt AlanT for the info). If the car has an original 5-speed, it is probably a Fairlady ZL model.

post-4148-14150817760089_thumb.jpg

Driving on the wrong side is easy to get used to.

We are RHD. I once owned a 42 Willys Jeep. Sitting on the left was not a problem. Toll booths and paid parking etc.are an issue however. You either need a passenger, or get out of the car.

Another plus to a RHD Z. The hand brake leaver is on the drivers side of the tunnel.