IGNORED

1971 Fairlady Z one owner on CL

Steve Parmley

If anyone goes to look at this car, please photograph the steering wheel and post the pictures,please. It looks like it may be the rare 48400-E4100 leather covered wheel. Very rare - very valuable. Would love to see more detailed pics to verify. Thanks!

i went to take a look at this car this weekend... wow! what a beautiful car. everything on it was well taken care of, no visible rust whats so ever, and it started up and drove amazing. well, here are some pics of the steering wheel and some additional pics. how can you tell if this is the rare 48400-E4100 leather covered wheel? sorry, i havent done my research...

post-26298-14150817704005_thumb.jpg

post-26298-14150817704804_thumb.jpg

post-26298-14150817705396_thumb.jpg

post-26298-14150817705991_thumb.jpg

post-26298-14150817706679_thumb.jpg

post-26298-14150817707293_thumb.jpg

Sadly it's not the super-rare option 48400-E4100 leather steering wheel ( not to be confused with the Sports Option 'Datsun Compe', which had a 'leather look' moulded urethane rim ). It's just the stock wood composite wheel with a loose leather cover stitched around it. Horn push 'Z' is the correct blue-painted version - correct for this model. The wheel should be less dish ( ie flatter ) than the Export steering wheels. Steering wheel re-trim probably done by the same outfit which recovered the door panels?

Mid January to early February 1971 build date I reckon.

Quite a nice car. Many of the mods could still be reversed.

Did you find out if they have the original engine? The ad says they think it has an L28 installed, but may have the original engine in storage. Does it still have the original five speed transmission? What does the dash look like under the cover?

-Mike

Beautiful car indeed. Unfortunately Fairlady Z's, at least the ones in Japan, did not receive an engine code on the engine bay plate. To verify, you can general guess the range of the engine code based on build date. Like my Fairlady, it didn't suffer from the addition of the rear red reflectors! Mostly all Fairlady's I have seen in the States had this item added to be road legal in the 70's. The door panels, steering wheel, front grill, among others will need to changed back, but awesome condition!

Edited by spitz17

Unfortunately Fairlady Z's, at least the ones in Japan, did not receive an engine code on the engine bay plate. To verify, you can general guess the range of the engine code based on build date.

Yes, but if it's a S30 it should have an L20a, not a L24, so if the engine in storage is an L20a, that is probably the original engine.

Like my Fairlady, it didn't suffer from the addition of the rear red reflectors! Mostly all Fairlady's I have seen in the States had this item added to be road legal in the 70's.

It must have varied by state, or maybe it was just California cars that had to add them. Most of the early Fairladys I have seen in the US didn't have the rear reflectors.

-Mike

Did you find out if they have the original engine? The ad says they think it has an L28 installed, but may have the original engine in storage. Does it still have the original five speed transmission? What does the dash look like under the cover?

-Mike

i asked about the engine, but they were not 100% sure. they only assume it was the original engine and matching transmission because the owner (who has passed away) was they type of person that would not store "junk"... they told me that the owner would buy extra parts for the car just in case they were not available in the future. they said that the storage locker contains a whole rear end or rear axel part, a head, the block, a cam, seat covers and cushions, whole ac unit, the blower and condenser, z wheel caps, etc.. i cant remember the rest.

the dash has 2 cracks, one small one near the driver side and a larger one on the passenger. but still in great condition for a 40 year old car.

• 2 years later...

There do appear to be some things that it appears someone added to this car. We have one known to be correct in most aspects as a JDM. No bumper overriders, no decals like that on air cleaner, and those louvers in the small doors next to the hood are not stock. At least not by our car, nor the pictures in the Nissan books. And of course those are aftermarket wheels. Radiator hoses are aftermarket replacements as are the clamps. Ours is appraised at well over the $20k he is asking. There are not many of these left in the USA and very few have been "restored". It can be done if you are willing to chase parts all over the world.

post-4680-14150827615837_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kerrigan