Milenko2121

Valve adjustments question

If you are talking about turning the engine by the cam sprocket bolt yeah that's a bad idea, you want to keep the tight side of the timing chain tight at all times.

It's better to use the crank bolt-24mm socket and try to turn clockwise at all times. Pull the spark plugs to make it easier turning the engine over .

I just put mine in high gear and rolled it to turn the motor. Bad idea when I asked the good folks on here because of what Zforce says about tension on the chain. Someone showed me that one can be bought from Autozone for $15. So I bought one and use it all the time now. It's alot quicker for the hot valve adjustment.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Actron-10-Amps-remote-starter-trigger-switch-with-heavy-duty-neoprene-leads-medium-current-clips-open-to-1-2-in-rubber-boots-and-ergonomic-handle/_/N-25eo?counter=0&filterByKeyWord=remote+starter&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=476887_0_0_

If the cam is on the base circle (off of the ramp to the lobe) it shouldn't matter whether the chain is loose or tight. The cam's action on the rocker arm is independent of the chain. A fine point, but one less thing to worry about.

I use the high gear and roll it by hand method. It's so easy that I bent my license plate on the garage recycle bin. I would rather use the crank snout bolt but I can't get a tool and my hand down there past the fan shroud.

ah, well then I feel slightly dumb for turning it that way, but the timing mark appears to be fine. next time I'll do the remote starter way.

where in Cali are you located?

Ventura usually Oxnard though, but I'm down in Vegas for awhile now.

Edited by Milenko2121

If you don't have a remote start button, you can always use the ignition key (with the plugs removed of course).

Ventura usually Oxnard though, but I'm down in Vegas for awhile now.

I lived in Ventura for a while on Seaward Avenue. C-Street was my fav place to surf as well as points north. Carpenteria was for those special days in the middle of the week. When I get Project 3/72 finished I plan to take a long road trip with one of my sons to let them see what SoCal looks like.

Well I guess I’ve been doing this wrong then. The two times I’ve done I’ve turned it by the cam bolt since I can’t get a socket on the crank without removing the rad (aftermarket). So far I’ve had no issues doing this with timing or issues with the engine but good to know 

• Like 1