IGNORED

Lost original key with no spare

AndysPlit

Yup.....It's really sad and quite boneheaded of me I admit. My glove-box also lacks the key code so that it would be an easy fix. So, I am faced with paying over $100 for the locksmith to come out or buy a used ignition with key and install it myself.

Anyone have one for sale for a 78 Z? I already checked the classifieds. Are these a bitch to install? Any suggestions for this dilemma would be appreciated......Yes, I will make a spare!

Thanks!

Andy

another option is to take the ignition out and bring it to a locksmith, that would save a little $$$. they are not that dificult to remove, just take you're time and be sure to store all of the hardware in a safe place as to not loose any little screws.

As long as a single key worked all of the exterior locks and the ignition, you can have a key made from one of the exterior lock cylinders and not have to mess with pulling the ignition. The passenger door lock cylinder should have a key code stamped into it, but even if does not you can pull it and any qualified locksmith can disassemble it and cut a key for it by hand. Prices vary by region but here locally it would run you around fifteen dollars if you pull the lock cylinder and take it to the locksmith shop.

Edited by signal34

It's sooooo much easier to pull the ignition off and take to the locksmith. Additionally, and I speaking to cars in general not just Z's, the door and trunk locks do not always have as many pins in the cylinders as the ignition cylinder. If you're uncomfortable pulling thr ignition cylinder yourself, strip the cover off the column and then call in the locksmith to make copies on site.

My local dealership said they do not keep the key code records going this far back (73 in my case) so I went to easters lock and key locally who cut the first key for $25 and $5 each for copies which were all tested on the car before I left.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

My local Nissan dealer's records for the vin # only goes back about 10 years. Not even my Z32 would make the cut in a similar situation. messed up, eh?

As far as retrieving the key code from inside the passenger door goes, that might help....partially. I have three keys for the car. One for the ignition, one for the doors, and one for the hatch. Thanks Datsun! Anyway, it seems taking out the ignition and bringing it to a local locksmith may be the cheapest solution.

Wish me luck!

Yes, What were they thinking making three different keys for our cars??

Really ??

They did not . Previous '' thrifty '' owners chucked in locks from the wreckers . Unless you have a very early '70 car , over the years these locks were replaced after break ins , wear outs , or general f-ups and were never keyed alike to the original code.

Let's give the Japanese some credit here !

Happy new year : )