IGNORED

What Do You Think My Z is Worth?

snevil

Just put this 1972 240z Unmolested Survivor up for sale, trying to figure what she is worth?

Stored for last 12 years has not been started since then. Needs battery + tune up + clean gas to run. 67698 original miles

http://www.datsunclassifieds.com/showproduct.php/product/6544/title/1972-datsun-240z-unmolested-survivor/cat/1

Thanks

You bought it from gentle old Mrs Chin in 1999, never drove it and now are selling it? How much did you pay for it in 1999? Tack on your expected investment gain and ask for that. Don't forget to share the proceeds with Mrs. Chin.

Edited by Zed Head

IMO, in today's market, $7000 would be very well-sold. From the pictures, and knowing that it has been sitting for 12 years, it will cost AT LEAST another $7000 to refresh the exterior and get it drivable, unless the buyer can do the paint/body him or herself. And that's assuming just the normal stuff - full hydraulic overhaul, all hoses (cooling, fuel, etc.), probably boil out the fuel tank. If the engine has seized from sitting, add a few grand more.

And I know from personal experience what a clean, refreshed low miles 240Z goes for these days. It'll be impossible to make this pencil out at a starting point of $7k if the buyer has to pay someone to do the body/paint.

Don't get me wrong, the car has a lot going for it. For the right person, it'd be a great project. But $7k will be a stretch, will take some time to find the right buyer. Time it doesn't sound like you have to spare.

Edited by Arne

7K would be a good ask if it were running and didn't need many replaced mechanical parts. All the master cylinders will need replacing as well as all the brake cylinders. If I had 7K I would be knocking on your door tomorrow but unfortunately I don't. I could do all the work myself and that is the sort of potential buyer you are looking for. Would have been a better idea to keep the reason for the proceeds to yourself. It avoids people that think you are desperate. Good Luck

I agree with Arne. The right person would pay that price. It will take some time to find that right person.

I would clean it up real good, put it on ebay with a high reserve and you will get some good exposure, get a feeling for the market price and perhaps find the right buyer.

If you are serious about selling, the first thing you should do is put up pictures that show better detail of the car. That means; motor pictures, interior(seat/console/ dash) pictures, frame rail shots, better pic under the battery and better pics of dogleg and fenders. Looks like the right front fender has been re-painted/replaced. Was that from previous accident? “Unmolested” is a useless statement: to the average Joe that means there’s not a V-8 under the hood. Good pics tell a much better story. Best of luck with the sale.

Rich