Need advice on this car - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Need advice on this car

Featured Replies

Hard to say from the pics and I HATE ads that don't give a price. You will likely either offer way too much or insult the seller. Take a weak refrigerator magnet and go over every square inch of the body. Anywhere it doesn't stick, is body filler. If the car is rust-free, it should be a great find if the price is right.

How can you put a price on a Z with a vinyl top? LOL

Dennis

  • Author

Yeah, that would have to come off. Never seen one before. I wonder if she had the dealer put that on .

Most people who don't post prices know that their price is high, in my experience, or don't really know what they want but are hoping for a pleasant surprise. I wouldn't worry at all about insulting someone who doesn't post a price. Personally, I feel insulted when someone posts an ad but no minimum price.

I insulted someone a couple of weeks ago about a part (an engine), then had a nice e-mail exchange with them, showing by example why their item was over-priced. I then found what I was looking for, in better condition, a couple of weeks later, for a "reasonable" price (reasonable to me). It was funny, because they had lots of reasons why my offer was too low but still wouldn't say what they thought was reasonable.

10 miles is not far, I would go out and look then insult away if you want it. Don't ask them what their minimum is, they will quote a big number and won't be able to back down with out looking foolish. Make your offer first. Expect to be rejected though.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I've seen several 240's with dealer-installed vinyl tops. I've heard they can be a pain to remove due to the adhesive residue.

Hard to say from the pics and I HATE ads that don't give a price. You will likely either offer way too much or insult the seller. Take a weak refrigerator magnet and go over every square inch of the body. Anywhere it doesn't stick, is body filler. If the car is rust-free, it should be a great find if the price is right.

Go look at the car and decide if you want it, but don't get into money with the seller. Tell them you'll have to "think about it". Get your drop dead price calculated and send in a friend that you trust, with cash in hand, to make a low ball offer. Tell him to start low and go 75% of what you are willing to pay, if she bites you get the car cheap, if not go back and start your negotiation at 60% and work your way up. That way she will have already been offended by a lower than expected offer, and even if she won't come off the car for what you are willing to pay, she has your number and highest offer. Remember that the economy sucks, and things aren’t selling the way they once did. I would get the shill buyer to start around $500.00, based on the pics. Good Luck! looks like a solid starting point car.

I've seen this car on CL a few times before. I bet she didn't post a price because it's way too high, hence the car hasn't sold for a year, or however long it's been.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.