IGNORED

best spray for un-cracked dash last cleaned in 96?

240260280z

I use the Lexol Leather conditioner/preservative. It was recommended to me by a dashboard restoration shop. I have been using it on my uncracked '70 dash for the last couple years, once every 3 months. Before that, dad just used water and a soft cloth....always garaged.

Rich

Rich,

Just curious, as I, too, use a Lexol product, but it is the Lexol Vinylex protectant for vinyl, rubber, and plastic. Are you sure that the recommendation wasn't for this, as opposed to the Lexol "Leather" product? If not, did the recommendation come with any specific reasons why the leather product would be superior to the vinylex? I have used the Vinylex on a NOS dash for the last 6 years as a hedge against deterioration. It leaves a nice, low luster finish and seems to maintain the supple, soft original feel. The car is garaged full time and only exposed to sunlight a couple of times a month for 45 minute drives. Thanks Rich.

Dan

I just use warm water and a micro fiber cloth to clean my dash, then wipe with a LIGHT coating of baby oil / water mix. So Far, so good. Did that on my llast 240Z dash with no cracks for 8 years.

Thing is, since most of us are not original owners, we don't know the history of how our dashes were maintained, amount of exposure to UV and mechanical stress, or even what conditions were during manufacture. Given that, I consider no matter how I care for it, it's a certainty that someday the dash will crack.

It's only a matter of time, and all I can to is to postpone it...

Rich,

Just curious, as I, too, use a Lexol product, but it is the Lexol Vinylex protectant for vinyl, rubber, and plastic. Are you sure that the recommendation wasn't for this, as opposed to the Lexol "Leather" product? If not, did the recommendation come with any specific reasons why the leather product would be superior to the vinylex? I have used the Vinylex on a NOS dash for the last 6 years as a hedge against deterioration. It leaves a nice, low luster finish and seems to maintain the supple, soft original feel. The car is garaged full time and only exposed to sunlight a couple of times a month for 45 minute drives. Thanks Rich.

Dan

I am pretty sure that is what the Dash restoration place (in Oregon?) said, 'Leather conditioner'. But I am now over 50 and that was several years ago, so I could be wrong. Not sure if the vinyl stuff was available two years ago. I will have to check into that.

I did quite a bit of research on this myself and came across quite a few people recommending vasaline. It is a petroleum product, same as the dash. No solvents or harsh detergents. My dash is original and crack free. I applied with a clean rag, dabbed a little and rubbed in in. Working a small area at a time until it was completely rubbed in. I did this in a couple of coats with a few days in between. The oiliness went away after a day or two, the dash looks new and has a nice sheen to it but not glossy. The black is restored. The plastic softened up a touch like the elasticity was restored. I'm very pleased with the results. I haven't touched it in 2 months and it still looks great, not oily to the touch. I dont see any downsides