IGNORED

The most expensive Z ever offered for sale....$300,000?

Healey Z

Now on ebay. The first Scarab built

1972 Datsun Scarab 327 350hp 8 cylinder engine with 4 speed manual transmission, Leather Interior, Air Conditioning, and Am/FM Stereo with Cassette.

Rare opportunity to acquire a significant piece of automotive history. Long-term owner of 27 years has decided to offer Scarab #1 for sale.

Not only is this car fully documented as an authentic factory produced example, it is the first one produced by the factory. It was used as the test car in the February 1976 Motor Trend and the September 1976 Road Test articles. It was also the car featured in the original sales brochure for Scarab Products. Its original owner was Brian Morrow, the creator and owner of Scarab Engineering. The original registration in Morrow’s name along with the original sales brochure accompany the car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Datsun-Scarab-Rare-Find-/260851169625?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3cbbf0f959

Granted, as the first Scarab and one that has the correct pedigree and documentation this is a very rare/valuable car. However, 300,000 is a bit crazy as factory numbered Scarabs that have come to market typically sell in the $30-40K range. A good sales price on this one might finally benefit the others that come to market. I have one located here where I live but it needs a complete restoration for it to bring anywhere near $30K.

The AM/FM cassette player is what puts it over the top for me.

Bet it's a Pioneer.

Chris

P.S. Saying its a Pioneer is no putdown. Back then you could spend a lot more on a car stereo and get a lot less than than buying a mid or high-end Pioneer.

No takers here.About the only thing better then was a Blaupunkt.But Pioneer had the better tuner section.

The AM/FM cassette player is what puts it over the top for me.

Bet it's a Pioneer.

Chris

P.S. Saying its a Pioneer is no putdown. Back then you could spend a lot more on a car stereo and get a lot less than than buying a mid or high-end Pioneer.

Looking at the pictures in the Scarab auction, I'd guess it's a Clarion or Craig, not a Pioneer. I know what the Pioneers back then looked like...

attachment.php?attachmentid=48032

post-8596-14150816192125_thumb.jpg