IGNORED

Oil / Oil Additive Question

Oiluj

All IMHO...

And that pressure bearing test is also a BS test, at least for automotive oils - the FTC nailed them on that too. Its more appropriate for GL5 grease, not for an oiling situation where oil is continually supplied under pressure. They just play on the ignorance of how engine oiling systems are designed to work.

And that "90% of engine wear occurs at start-up" claim is also BS, but for a different reason. Its not due to a lack of oil, its due to a lack of heat. Combustion by products (mostly acids) collect in the upper cylinder area until the engine temps gets beyond the acid's dew point. Once that happens the oil can wash the acids down into the crankcase. Its not due to lack of oil, its due to acidic vapors that the oil can't do anything about until the vapors condense. Again, they play on ignorance.

John,

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. While I'm an ME, lubrication is not a subject where I have much "practical" experience...

Called Dave Rebello today. He basically agreed with what you said above about modern oil technology above. He also suggested the use of an additive, if the particular oil used doesn't have enough ZDDP.

All IMHO...

And that pressure bearing test is also a BS test, at least for automotive oils - the FTC nailed them on that too. Its more appropriate for GL5 grease, not for an oiling situation where oil is continually supplied under pressure. They just play on the ignorance of how engine oiling systems are designed to work.

And that "90% of engine wear occurs at start-up" claim is also BS, but for a different reason. Its not due to a lack of oil, its due to a lack of heat. Combustion by products (mostly acids) collect in the upper cylinder area until the engine temps gets beyond the acid's dew point. Once that happens the oil can wash the acids down into the crankcase. Its not due to lack of oil, its due to acidic vapors that the oil can't do anything about until the vapors condense. Again, they play on ignorance.

That was an Ad? I thought they were talking about a controlled test. It even sounds like the test was flawed. Thanks for clearing that up. I found it hard to believe that Castrol GTX was crap. It has been good in my cars since 1980. Not to say that something else may be better. Everybody has a product that they seem to like.

Thanks,

Marty

Well, the thing that was compelling to me was the comparison of different motor oils with each other, rather than the comparison of any of the oils with the snake oil du jour. Yes, it was an ad (maybe more of an online infomercial), but yes, it was also a controlled test. As a scientist, I do recognize a controlled test. As I said, Castrol GTX ranked dead last. Was I inspired to buy snake oil? No. But I did rethink the Castrol GTX. I now use mostly Castrol Syntec, except for the Delo I use in the Z. Oh, and the powerboat gets Mobil 1.

Oh, and FAIW, oil is not supplied under pressure to the flat tappets. Therefore I find that test very applicable to cam/tappet wear.

Edited by FastWoman

It's called the "3 ball wear test" and the SAE uses that test to rate oils. The measurements taken are wear, heat generation at different pressures and speeds, and at what point the metals begin to fuse or gaul.

There is another factor that is of concern when you are talking about cars that get driven only on short trips durring good weather, that is the ability of the oil to suspend water in solution. When the hot car is parked, it sucks air into the crank case as it cools, this process is repeated as hot days and cool nights cause the air to expand and contract. condensation forms within the crank. Since the engin block stays cool as it sits, the condensation builds up in the oil pan.

This is the reason I run amsoil 100% synthetic in everything that I own with a motor, of all the oils I looked at, amsoil has the ability to suspend the highest percentage of water in solution at all temps below 212 degrees F, at which point the oil looses the water to vapor. This reduces sludge, wear, and the oil can also better deal with the condensation and acids therein at cold start. Everything gets a fresh dose of oil in the spring and filter replacements based on mileage throughout the year.

I have not had an oil related problem with any of my cars or equipment since I started using this practice, what else can I say.

I put 400,193.2 miles on a 1991 honda civic DX hatchback and gave the still running good car away to a friend. Castrol 10-w30 was the only oil used. I gave it away because I got a different ride and after you have that much seat time in a car you do get sick of it.

Been using Castrol GTX 10-30, but now that then engine is fully broken-in, I'm thinking of adding some ZDDP to protect my cam.

Alternately, I'm considering using a synthetic blend oil such as Royal Purple of Castrol Edge.

Have searched the archives and the web, but it's really hard to come to any real conclusions on what's best, because most of the information is dated...

So what oil or oil addditives are others using and what are your impressions?

I know this is a controversial topic, and apologize in advance if this turns into a food fight...

On your newly rebuilt engine , I personally would use synthetic and with it it is not necessary

to add the zink. I use Valvoline Racing because my engine has about 60k on it or I would be

using the synthetic. The Racing oil has ZDDP. If you want further info just ask a cam grinder.

Gary