IGNORED

Just Bought a 240z. No clue where to begin.

zild1221

First off, just wanted to say hey. I have been lurking for a while. Z's have always caught my attention so I came around here once every now and again.

Anyway, there was a very good (at least I thought so) on a 73' 240z I couldn't pass up and just bought it. Here is a phone pic until I can find the cable to my camera.

post-24739-14150815630102_thumb.jpg

I know a lot about cars, but not much (yet) about working on cars. If you guys can bare with me, hopefully this will be a good first project. I intend for this car to be a daily driver. Also, if possible, the way I want to go about restoring the car is so that I can still use the car as I work on it. Obviously certain things can not be done that way. Also, I am on a limited budget.

Now, I went through the car and I am coming up with a list of things that I found wrong/missing that were obvious enough for me to spot.

Cosmetics:

-Chrome around windows in certain spots loose/pops off

-Non-original/crappy plastic mirror

-Small dash chip on the far right side

-Drivers seat torn

-Small paint chips and bubbles

-Carpets dry rotted

-Broken pass. door latch

-Pass window rattles when rolling up or down and gets stuck if all the way down

I took a bunch of pics to describe the cosmetics better.

Mechanics:

-Brakes barely work, can put foot to floor

-Leaks brake fluid rear left

-RPM needle gets stuck all the way up when starting the car, revving does nothing.

The car seemed like a good buy at $2900. There is not a single ounce of rust. The suspension is fairly clean, I checked all the common places for rust. Pulled up the carpets and checked the floorboards, spare tire well, front and rear quarters, and the engine bay. No rust anywhere. The motor has 43,000 miles, original to the car. The wheels are also in good condition. It starts right up and runs. I don't now much about dual carbs and how to go about tuning them so any recommendations to guides would be appreciated.

Anyway, it is all a bit overwhelming. I would like to get the car to a driving state first. I can deal with the cosmetics for now. I am not insane about original parts and such. I can deal with new parts from places like blackdragonauto.

IF you guys could point me in the right direction on where to start. Some guides and such would be helpful.

I look forward to your responses.

First make sure your breaks are in good shape. It sounds like you will need a new rear brake cylinder. Make sure the other calipers are functional and bleed the system. (Your clutch will probably need the same). Make sure the suspension bushings are in good condition as well. 38 year year old rubber tends to get dry and crusty-many here have replaced with urethane. While you have suspension apart it would be a good time to check springs and struts. Many people with '73's swap out the carbs for earlier ones. Other than that and new fluids in the car, start driving it.

Hey, and welcome.

Sounds as though you are way ahead with a rust free 240. Good find.

Just my 2c. Work on one problem at a a time till you get that sorted, then on to the next. I would be starting on the brakes first. Oops

I see tlorber just said that as well.

Good luck and have some fun.

Brian.

Edited by olzed

You say no rust, how about bondo or any other sign of previous body work? It looks like it has a new paint job.

After finding suspect areas by tapping lightly with finger tips, use a fridge sheet magnet to confirm any possible bondo'd areas.

Safety first

brakes- brake hoses, etc

get it running

replace all hoses if they haven't been already- radiator, heater, fuel, expansion tank

all fuel filters- carbs, engine bay, filter inside of electric pump by gas tank.

window- get it fixed before it gets worse, go through the other and grease it up before it starts giving you trouble.

window chrome- possibly the rubber is rotted and hard(windshield and back window)

suspension- bushings and shocks, unless the bushings are noticeably bad, hold off until you have a solid daily driver. Then do the struts and bushings together.

carbs- are they the stock carbs for the '73? Either way, if it runs well leave them alone. No reason to replace.

door latch-- handle or latch? Handle you can get a new or used, classifieds, etc.

Parts-- You would be surprised what the dealer still has in stock. MSA has nissan parts, but their prices are a little inflated, Courtesy Nissan in Texas can get you most parts. Ebay also like MSA, inflated pars prices. Research before buying from anywhere.

Tach-- Mine does the same thing. Sometime I can pound on the dash and it will start working. I will replace with a used tach, if that doesn't work I will find a early 280z tach, supposed to work better with the electronic dizzy i have. But that is not what the problem with the tach, possibly an internal short.

Edited by Darrel

If you need any help. Hit me up. BTW Beautiful car! On a side note, I keep seeing those rear quarter arches on a lot of Z's. That rear wheel arch lip is not stock IMHO. What is the story with those?

Here is the stock rear wheel arch lip.

post-4964-14150815630746_thumb.jpg

With about $2000 to $3000 dollars in parts, you can fix ALL the problems in your list and have a GREAT car. I wouldn't worry about paint bubbles unless they were caused by rust. Sometimes, like mine, they are just caused by poor prep work under the paint.

Edited by cygnusx1

Thanks for all the help already! I was going to go out and get to the brakes today but it is just too hot out. 100° right now. I will however go snap a few more phone pics since the camera cord is nowhere to be found.