IGNORED

Brakes: Restored! Not just rebuilt...

conedodger

Eric, my local plating shop north of Austin demands the parts be sand blasted prior to plating. Haven't done any parts with machined surfaces yet (like calipers). I guess the shop doesn't have a tumbler. Obviously blasting the machined surfaces is right out. Blasting the calipers assembled might be an option and just figure on replacing the pistons and seals. Any advice on surface prep prior to plating?

Agree with the warning about relationship and bank account damage.

1010-Bolts1.jpg

Edited by GreenZZZ

• 1 month later...

I was looking through various parts today and came across this NOS S30 caliper. Interesting that my UK (and evidently Europe too) car had a different finish to the caliper (as seen in the French text brochure attachment which illustrates a flat grey, rather than bright finish) than US models, unless there were year variants (this caliper has a 1977 manufacture date on the box).

post-18775-14150818211015_thumb.jpg

post-18775-14150818211672_thumb.jpg

post-18775-14150818212118_thumb.jpg

post-18775-14150818212564_thumb.jpg

post-18775-14150818213008_thumb.jpg

post-18775-14150818213456_thumb.jpg

I think that is the same finish that all of the S30 calipers originally had. I think the cad plating that Eric does is not original and may be 'over restoring' the part. Maybe it adds some kind of additional protection, but I don't think it was done that way originally.

-Mike

I think that is the same finish that all of the S30 calipers originally had. I think the cad plating that Eric does is not original and may be 'over restoring' the part. Maybe it adds some kind of additional protection, but I don't think it was done that way originally.

-Mike

I think you're right Mike. Eric definitely over-restores. He is in Brazil right now but I'm sure he'll answer when he returns. (Family vacation)

• 5 months later...

It does over-protect... I had to ask him. You should see what he is up to now! He is making aluminum rear calipers to match the Brembo aluminum calipers I have on the front of my Porsche. These will reduce the weight by 4# per corner. These are the fronts - gorgeous!

I'm hoping to talk him into making aluminum Sumitomo copies... They would run about $600 - $700 without pads.

post-16545-14150820336275_thumb.jpg