IGNORED

Atf?

Threehz

Yeah I do have some good faith in the old Z, yesterday I went over to see if I could pump the tires up because today I'm gonna bring her home, the tires pumped right up and held air fine, I was impressed. Lifting her that 6 inches off the ground really brought her that much more to life, like a beast rising from the dead haha.

I think you're right though I just always like to gather as much info as I can before I dive into anything because I have a track-record of diving in head first with eyes partially open.

Anyway today I'm picking up my Z and bringing her home so expect to see some pictures by the end of the day!

So running a cycle of ATF one I get her started wouldn't be a bad idea? I've heard of using oil for diesel engines because it also has a high level of detergent, anyone else done this?

I'm currently running Chevron Delo (a high detergent diesel engine formulation) to clean sludge from my engine. I've been cleaning it up for some time now. When I first bought the car, the inside of the engine looked like a BBQ grill. Now I'm seeing mostly clean metal.

I've also used Rislone, which is a high detergent oil additive with considerably more viscosity than ATF. People often run a quart of the stuff for the last 100 mi before an oil change. The Rislone seems to work well, but I'm content with the Delo instead.

Before retiring a couple of years ago, I used to run a diesel excavator, and used the diesel engine oil in both our cars with no ill effect.

One old Toyota I bought with 150,000 km on it as a work hack, had a rattley timing chain. As time went buy and the km increased the chain noise went away. (If it was coincidence, or the diesel oil cleaning out the oil galleries I will never know. I eventually drove it to Pic a Part with 260,000km on the clock, and picked up $250 bucks for it.:) ( The body was starting to rust away, but the engine still ran like a watch) I have never tried ATF added but might give it a crack in my 240 before the next oil change.:bulb: A litre should not thin down the oil to much. I had a tractor that had a fault with the injector pump, and leaking diesel straight into the crankcase, thinning the oil something awful. It did no damage to the engine, although the oil pressure was very low.:ermm:

Brian

Oh I forgot about that Z&P, I remember reading about them taking it out of regular oil, however I believe they make special brands that still have it, however NOW it's considered special oil haha.

Jan, do you mean diesel motor oil, or diesel fuel? I use diesel motor oil. (See post 14.) Some people have been known to add a bit of diesel oil or kerosene to the crankcase to flush gunk from the engine just prior to an oil change. Gunk engine flush is a more aggressive flushing agent with higher volatiles. It's a bit like an engine enema. But no, I've never tried flushing with diesel fuel. I've used Gunk flush, though, and it's a great product. I would not recommend it for cleaning anything but varnish and minor sludge, though. Same thing for SeaFoam, which I think is a very similar product.

Jan, I used TURBO diesel engine oil in my normally aspirated tractor engines, and also in two cars. One a 1987 Corrolla, and the other a 98 Mitsi. No ill effects, and they both ran up high miles. Sarah is using Delo, high detergent oil, so I would assume her engine, if pulled down, would be clean internally. A clean engine must be good.;)