IGNORED

Atf?

Threehz

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I always thought ATF was automatic tranny fluid...

I'm about get a 77 280Z that's been sitting for 8 years so I have a lot of work to do before starting her up, now I keep hearing about pulling the spark plugs and pouring ATF in and letting it sit overnight then trying to hand crank it etc etc..

What is ATF referring to in this case? Because I would assume you would use a very light oil to do the aforementioned task.

Thanks

ATF is just extremely detergent oil. Old school mechanics, especially on cars older than ours that actually did use some oil sometimes poured in a quart of ATF just before the oil change to wash off the crap and get it out with the oil change. It isn't a bad idea. I still do it on occasion to honor my late father and grandfather. It works...

I don't think it is really necessary on newer cars though. My 4Runner has 205K on it and doesn't burn a drop of oil. Comes out almost as clean looking as it goes in!

Awesome thanks guys! Good info I was just feeling like I was missing something but now it makes perfect sense!

Any specific brand or type that's more ideal for the job?

Don't worry about it. There are two types but the type is more important to your automatic transmission than it is to your engine. Like I said, just very detergent oil...

Awesome!

p.s. Conedodger, even though I know what your name actually is, every time I see it I see Corndogger and it makes me laugh! My dyslexia never fails me heh. Oh and double PS your 240 is a killer!

I have substituted one quart of ATF in place of one quart of oil during an oil change. Works very well to clean the engine internals.. Like Rob mentioned, the high detergent content cleans out any sludge in the engine. I didn't run it very long, just a day or maybe two of normal driving before changing the oil and filter again. I did this when I bought a used Rebello 3.1L stroker from a friend of mine. The engine had been sitting a while and now the oil is just like Rob's 4Runner, very clean after every change..

I guess you could run all ATF for a short period. I am not sure if there would be any deleterious effect. I spoke with some one I trust last night and he was telling me he runs 1/2 Swepco 901 and 1/2 Ford ATF in his transmission and it makes for much easier shifting.

You might be over thinking this though, old Datsuns are like old tractors. Abuse, neglect will eventually take its toll but not like other cars. My Porsches are very finicky. The Datsun? Give it hell and it just smiles...