IGNORED

Engine Compartment Bath?

Threehz

Ok so within the next few days I should be towing my 77 280Z home and it's got leaves and stuff all over it and the usual dirt that would build up from sitting for 8 years. Also the engine compartment has a lot of spider-webs and such so I was thinking of giving the whole car a good bath and then giving the engine compartment a bath as-well.

Being a 77 it's fuel injected but I'm wondering is there any reason I shouldn't wash the engine compartment or are there any things I should plug up when I wash in there?

Also would it be a wise choice to go get some degreaser to spray around in there because I'd like to generally get it pretty clean in there before I start tearing everything out, and that'll help see if there any leaks or anything. So good choice? If so what's a good brand I degreaser I can get a auto parts store?

Thanks guys! Can't wait to get her home and put up some pics!

0. Engine is not hot at all (Important)

1. Start with a hot day and a bucket of very soapy water (dish soap is great). You can use a degreaser spray if you have a lot of oil and dirt... maybe even power wash

2. Get a variety of brushes from the kitchen/bathroom section of a walmart or a dollar storeas well as a big soft carwash brush.

10-0245.jpg27140501_lg.jpgCar-Wash-Brush-2ZPA8_AS01.JPG

I like this gentle brass brush too:

Brass%20Detail%20Brush.jpg

3. Wash several times and scrub then rinse with a hose and a shower/soaker setting on a hand sprayer. No need to do the alternator (you can bag it with a grocery bag to keep dry)

4. Dry engine then start car and idle with hood down to dry further.

5. When dry, spray engine (metal and hoses) with CD2 engine detailer, let sit for 1/2 hour, idle car or drive and you are good to go (no need to wipe this stuff at all...just spray and walk away).

31G5NV1ETRL._SS400_.jpg

Take before and after photos.

Use oil, grease and lithium grease for the typical locations (hood hinges, latch, battery terminals, etc)

If you have rusty iron/steel just get some ospho (Ace Hardware) in a cup and a toothbrush or small paint brush to dab... you may want a rubber glove because ospho spatter is like mild fire ants on your soft under forearm LOL

00001827.jpg

Edited by Blue

What he said but I prefer a slow flow of water so you can control where it goes, otherwise you can spray water in places you don't want soaked like AFM, etc. I also like to use 303 Aerospace Protector on all rubber surfaces, seals etc to protect after the wash. I use regular car wash soap strength, rinse, lather, rinse...do it a few times over and you should be good to go. You can also use a leaf blower to help the drying process so long as you have good control over it.

Every day here is hot and dry so that's easy.

As for starting the engine that's a no can do, the car has been sitting for eight years and I've got LOTS on my to do list before I try starting the baby.

I'm assuming the engine has to be thoroughly dry before spraying with this CD2?

I will definitely have some before and after pics!

CD2 is incredible.That and Redline MTL are the only two "snake oil" bottles that work. I just used CD2 on my S2000 and I am still amazed every time I open the hood.

Here is someone else's S2000 example (CD2 Still Wet)

S2K03.jpgS2K10.jpg

Edited by Blue

Wow that stuff is amazing and I've been reading some great reviews of it!

Now since I can't start my engine, I'll have to let it air dry for a while. So after it's completely dry I just spray CD2 all over the engine and let it dry? (Again can't start my engine)

Also in one of your pictures it looked like you sprayed the CD2 on just about everything in the engine bay, that's ok?

Is there anything besides the alternator that should be covered? Does a 77 280Z have a computer in it?

Now since I can't start my engine, I'll have to let it air dry for a while. So after it's completely dry I just spray CD2 all over the engine and let it dry? (Again can't start my engine)

Yes, a dry clean engine is recommended.

Also in one of your pictures it looked like you sprayed the CD2 on just about everything in the engine bay, that's ok?

Yes, you can go crazy and spray on metal, paint, battery, plastic, hoses, block, top of radiator.

It also works great on plastic wheel wells of newer cars.

Is there anything besides the alternator that should be covered? Does a 77 280Z have a computer in it?

Not really. Just pull the plastic cover off the TPS on the side of the throttle body when you finish and dry it inside. Don't spray forcefully on any of the electrical items so as to get connectors wet. You can even take the battery out and spray and wash it separately.

The computer is to the left of the drivers left foot

Edited by Blue

Awesome! Thanks for the great info man, and as for the battery, it's an 8 year old battery so it's gonna be coming out no matter what.

Hey your car, Blue, is a 77 280 aswell? You got a gallery of her anywhere she's beautiful!

Awesome! Thanks for the great info man, and as for the battery, it's an 8 year old battery so it's gonna be coming out no matter what.

Hey your car, Blue, is a 77 280 aswell? You got a gallery of her anywhere she's beautiful!

Glad to help. Yes I have a 77 280z as well. Lots of pics here LOL: http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/

and some here:http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/members/philippilgrim/