IGNORED

Best Weather Stripping Kit?

Threehz

Precision Replacement Parts - www.prp.com

1-800-367-8241

You have to create a user account to see the different kits (which I think is stupid).

Here's a thought. You might look at all the vendors and then see what the $$$ would be to "Make your own kit"... buy a little here, a little there...

I cannot find Precision's website anywhere but you can get their kits third-party.

Has anyone used any of the weatherstripping from ZCarSource.com? They have kits on their website but said they do not have the whole kits anymore just individual pieces. Anyhow anyone used any of these? I asked them who makes their product but the guy didn't know...

1+

Great question

• 3 weeks later...

I'm replacing all the rubber on my 75Z, windows, doors, hatch, you name it. Since the MSA kit dosen't have it all, I figure I'll have about $500 in the whole thing. Still waiting on the MSA kit since Precision is still backed up.

Mjr, let us know how it works out because I'd love to get some more opinions on different kits or even individual pieces.

Does anyone know what the pieces on the bottom outside of the window are called? Like the outside of the car, driver or passenger window right at the bottom of the window, there is a strip of what may have been rubber at some point but is now hard as plastic on my car. The piece on my driver side is now scraping my window when I roll it up or down and it scratched it up a little so I'm adverse to rolling my window up or down until I get a new one of those.

Anyhow that'd be a great help I'll get a picture up if needed

the dealer is an option, I have ordered about 90% of the weatherstripping from the dealer, probably spent more than if I had gone with MSA or anyone else but I wanted to explore Nissan first and then will get the remainder from the other vendors.

Some is expensive but other stuff may surprise you, worth a shot

I'm going the Vintage Rubber route with the restoration kit. The way I figure, all the seals in my car are still in decent shape after 38 years but if I'm going to be in deep for a strip and spray, the cost of the kit is a lot less than rust repair down the road because I used old seals in critical areas. I also found NOS rubber kits in the usual areas, one seemed like a great deal for $275 from jdm-car-parts but it is now sold out. I inquired and they said "it covers the whole car" but were not specific. The Vintage Rubber kit, in either form, seems like good insurance against water intrusion....although it is quite costly so I'm expecting a top quality product.

Threehz, are you talking about the lower window felt or the piece on the bottom of the outside of the door? I got lower window channel felts (rubber) from Oliver at Z Specialties, along with an inside door handle which no one else had.

The Vintage Rubber kit is nice but spendy and you will still have to buy other pieces to do the complete car.

Threehz, I'm sorry for misunderstanding what part you meant, I believe you are refereing to the "whisker" strip on the window opening edges. They are available from several vendors the outer one being about $50 the inner one about $8.

Yeah that sounds about right, I'm gonna see if Nissan has them and how much it would be there or possibly look on ebay.

Hearing from everyone that the PRP door seals make closing the doors hard I think I might do precision seals for most things but maybe go with Vintage for the doors.

• 1 month later...

I want to add a comment about Vintage Rubber here. I followed this thread as well as Guy's restoration and decided to order a couple of pieces from Vintage Rubber. 2 weeks ago it was all good and would have the product in a few days. No email, no shipping confirmation but the money is gone. I emailed Randy Nickel and I got a story about the 510 guys realizing the rubber was the same and they bought it all. As it goes, I had to badger him for another dozen attempts to finally get an email saying it was shipped last week before the long week end. In his words last Wednesday night, "it's on my desk and I will make sure it gos out first thing". I finally goy a tracking number and it was shipped the 5th, AFTER the long week end.

Now, it's not the end of the word but I drive 2 hours to pick up my shipments as I live in Canada and travel into New York to save on duty. My other products have been waiting 2weeks for him to get his act in gear and it's disappointing he dropped the ball. I recently picked up a nice rust free 510 shell that needs complete seals and I don't have the faith to order from him again.

Beware of delays and broken promises. I hope the seals were worth the wait and the headache.

chris