IGNORED

Best Weather Stripping Kit?

Threehz

Well I've heard good things about Precisions kit and I heard the BD (Black Dragon) kit is a slight step down. However that's really all I know about weatherstripping kits for Z's let alone any car.

So what's the best choice for a weather-stripping kit (Quality and inclusiveness wise)?

It'll be going on a 77' 280Z coupe.

Thanks !

I agree that Vintage may have a better fit on some of the rubbers, but I do not think that it is worth $1,350.00.

I went with Precision, but that was a while ago (and I do not think VR was even around). I have been satisfied overall - except with the Rear Hatch, but they made good on that for me.

Get lots of opinions - that way you'll be comfortable whichever you choose.

Yeah vintage has some pretty high prices, a bit too high for me, and comparing the Vintage basic kit to the precision kit, the only thing I see that is missing in the precision kit is the hatch seals, is that correct?

@ZCurves, you say you weren't satisfied with the rear hatch from precision but they made good on it? What was wrong with the rear hatch? (lack of it?)

I ordered the complete Precision kit from MSA when I painted my car 3 years ago. Most of the stuff is OK. Not perfect, but OK. The door seals are still too firm (hard to close the doors), and the rear window gasket hides too much of the stainless trim. I'll probably try the door seals from Vintage Rubber one of these days. Either that, or the Kia rubber, but I'm still not sold on Kia parts on my Z.

I ordered the complete Precision kit from MSA when I painted my car 3 years ago. Most of the stuff is OK. Not perfect, but OK. The door seals are still too firm (hard to close the doors), and the rear window gasket hides too much of the stainless trim. I'll probably try the door seals from Vintage Rubber one of these days. Either that, or the Kia rubber, but I'm still not sold on Kia parts on my Z.

Yeah vintage has some pretty high prices, a bit too high for me, and comparing the Vintage basic kit to the precision kit, the only thing I see that is missing in the precision kit is the hatch seals, is that correct?

@ZCurves, you say you weren't satisfied with the rear hatch from precision but they made good on it? What was wrong with the rear hatch? (lack of it?)

I cannot speak for the contents of the current Precision Kit, mine came with a Hatch Seal. It seams that the current Precision Kits have a lot more in terms of Inner Door, Cowl, etc. As for my Hatch Seal problem, I am not sure whether it was not correct or if I installed it wrong or what. The material they use has always been top notch. The point was that I was uncomfortable with it and I did not feel that I should have to slam my hatch shut, thats not what Nissan intended. A quality replacement part should, well, work -right? What I can say is that I had several long discussions with Precision, they replaced the seal and helped me better understand how to install it - seems that some folks install them upside down (I had not) . Precision is very interested in making good products and keeping you happy. That was pretty good customer service by my book.

Edited by ZCurves

I cannot find Precision's website anywhere but you can get their kits third-party.

Has anyone used any of the weatherstripping from ZCarSource.com? They have kits on their website but said they do not have the whole kits anymore just individual pieces. Anyhow anyone used any of these? I asked them who makes their product but the guy didn't know...