IGNORED

My 99 cent factory floor mats from Ebay

24 Ounces

OK, I was wrong. That appears to be one of the rubber mats that the low VIN cars came with, before carpet was spec'd as standard. I've never seen that mat on a car with a VIN as high as yours, I had always been under the assumption that the US cars with those mats were all sub-1000, if not lower.

More details here - Early rubber mats

Sellers often do that on ebay because you do not pay ebay fees on shipping...

Note that eBay has just changed this policy (takes effect sometime soon), and now they will be charging final value fees on both item cost and shipping.

Note that eBay has just changed this policy (takes effect sometime soon), and now they will be charging final value fees on both item cost and shipping.

Like they don't screw sellers enough already.... www.datsunclassifieds.com is free, you are already a member and did I mention it was free?

Arne, I thought it was. I also have the rear deck mat but am missing the behind the seats and passenger side mats.

I guess I should stop using it to protect my carpet.

John

A set of the "Datsun" logoed 240Z mats was on Ebay within the last month. I hit the "confirm bid" button with what I thought was 5 seconds to spare (I'm a "sniper"), but either my internet was slightly slow then, or I miscalculated and missed by a second or 2. Those mats were decent and went for $10. The mats were the exact shape of 240Z footwells, so I am assuming they were the rare early mats. The original bill-of-sale for my car shows the dealer charged $30 for floor mats (and $100 for front and rear bumper guards... the same kind I see in old Adco ads). The dealer padded the hell out of my Z... probably the main way for dealers to make money (gouge?) for Zs (the dealer padded the bill by $1,005 on my car...$575 for crappy add-on AC and some other stuff). Does anyone know what the dealer cost was for Zs? Did most of the early Zs come with no options (and what factory options were available)? Were Zs shipped from Japan with no options and then the stuff was all added by the dealers? BTW, the $20 shipping charge didn't discourage me in the least...I was prepared to go $45 on the mats.

A set of the "Datsun" logoed 240Z mats was on Ebay within the last month. I hit the "confirm bid" button with what I thought was 5 seconds to spare (I'm a "sniper"), but either my internet was slightly slow then, or I miscalculated and missed by a second or 2. Those mats were decent and went for $10. The mats were the exact shape of 240Z footwells, so I am assuming they were the rare early mats. The original bill-of-sale for my car shows the dealer charged $30 for floor mats (and $100 for front and rear bumper guards... the same kind I see in old Adco ads). The dealer padded the hell out of my Z... probably the main way for dealers to make money (gouge?) for Zs (the dealer padded the bill by $1,005 on my car...$575 for crappy add-on AC and some other stuff). Does anyone know what the dealer cost was for Zs? Did most of the early Zs come with no options (and what factory options were available)? Were Zs shipped from Japan with no options and then the stuff was all added by the dealers? BTW, the $20 shipping charge didn't discourage me in the least...I was prepared to go $45 on the mats.

IMHO if the dealer wants to charge you an extra $1000 because he wants to do so, it isn't gouging, especially on a sports car. A sports car is a want and not a need. If you are willing to pay extra, then you can buy the car. If not, wait until it is used and make someone else pay the extra profit AND depreciation.

Do you insist upon paying MSRP on a car, even when the dealer is willing to reduce the price? My guess is that you take the discount and walk away happy about the deal you got. That's why for most of the cars I have purchased new, I look for the slow selling cars. I'm more than happy to let the "I've got to get that car NOW!" crowd furnish the dealer with the extra profit.

To get back on topic, I think the mats were well bought. Something tells me that it would be difficult to find a set of mats like those for $20.

FYI, unreasonable shipping cost on an eBay auction can be reported to them and they will contact the seller about the complaint. They claim that it's against their policy and they appear to follow through on enforcing it. If one auction is listed that way you can be sure the same seller does it on most if not all of their other auctions. Man, why do people always wanna pull a scam!!??