IGNORED

My tires are rubbing on inner fender wells.

mark81

I'm having some issues with my tires rubbing on my inner fender wells. I'm running 16x8 (0 offset) with 225/50's and have already rolled the inner fenders but whenever I go over bumps they still rub. I'm still running stock suspension and thinking the springs and shocks are bagged out. Will replacing one or both of these fix my problem? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

What year Z mark81? Are you talking front or rear or both? More info always helps.

My '78 had big rub issues in the back and I had to trim the lips to solve the issue. This isn't a rip on you specifically, but I always read people talk about lowered cars or sagging springs CAUSING rubbing. That is simply not true. The suspension MUST be able to go through its complete travel with no rubbing. Otherwise, you are just adding a Band-Aid and some day it WILL rub if the right bump or dip is hit. The only way to ensure you have proper clearance is to remove the springs and run the suspension through its complete travel. When the tires clear everything, you are safe.

Check out this thread and scroll down to my response.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35079&highlight=lip

I think he's saying that they're rubbing on the inner fender well, not the outer lip. I experienced this with a 15 x 8 with 5" backspace and a tire that was way too wide for the rim. I'm not sure you you could have had the same thing with a 16 x 8 with 0 offset. The OD of the tire might be taller, but I wouldn't think that it would rub the inside like that.

The first set I put on my AVATAR rubbed the outer lip 225/50R16 16X7.5 wheel. They rubbed in front and back. In the front only when wheel was locked to the left. The second set I went to a 40 series tire. Problem solved. I still run the stock suspension with a thick anti roll bar, a thick rear anti roll bar will also almost eliminate rear axle squat under hard acceleration. 7.5 wide is about as wide as you really need to go IMHO

post-19498-14150814439276_thumb.jpg

Edited by esmit208

a thick rear anti roll bar will also almost eliminate rear axle squat under hard acceleration.

The ARB inherently has no effect in this situation, unless it is binding. The ARB contributes to a vehicle's roll stiffness. When one wheel moves relative to the other, then the ARB has an effect.

I'm having some issues with my tires rubbing on my inner fender wells. I'm running 16x8 (0 offset) with 225/50's and have already rolled the inner fenders but whenever I go over bumps they still rub. I'm still running stock suspension and thinking the springs and shocks are bagged out. Will replacing one or both of these fix my problem? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark81,

Your comments are unclear as to which side of the tire is rubbing.

Options are:

Smaller tire

If rubbing on the inside:

Wheel spacer

Change to coilovers

If rubbing on the outside:

Different wheels with less offset (more backspace)

Roll the inside edge of the fender down (see posts on "fender rolling")

Flare the fenders

New springs and shocks will not help.

We have 225/50R15 on 15X7 wheels on our 73 240. The back space is about 3". In front the inside of the tire rubbed on the spring seat. A 1/4" wheel spacer fixed that. The rear fits without the spacer.

16x8 (zero offset) with most 225/50 tires will rub the rear wheel arch lips on a 280Z when the car is sufficiently loaded. Even rolling them might just buy you a little travel. I tolerated it with a stiffer spring and illumina sruts set to 3. This minimized the cars compression travel during daily driving.

Oddly enough, the same wheels and tires on my 240Z, have a bit more clearance to the wheel arch.

On a 7" wide wheel, you dont want much more than +14mm offset. The sweet spot for 7" wide wheels is 0mm to +12mm offset on an S30 with factory spring perches and wheel arches.

beermanpete, something sounds strange about your 3" backspace wheels. Are you sure they aren't 4" or more back space? My 240Z currently wears 16x8 wheels with 0mm offset (or 4" back space) and has no clearance issues on the inside (strut side).

Edited by cygnusx1

... beermanpete, something sounds strange about your 3" backspace wheels. Are you sure they aren't 4" or more back space? My 240Z currently wears 16x8 wheels with 0mm offset (or 4" back space) and has no clearance issues on the inside (strut side).

Cygnusx1,

You are correct. The back space is about 4". I just double checked. Faulty memory on my part. Sorry about that. Thanks for the double check.

Edited by beermanpete