• Already have one
    • On a waiting list
    • Will buy the first used one I find
    • Gotta go with the G35 coupe
    • Growing on me...
    • Haven't seen one in person yet
    • Not if my life depended on it
    • Yes, and I'm thinking about stroking it to 383

Actually, I found it amazing how many people who initially turned their noses up to the very idea of the car ( me included ) seem to be coming around to a different viewpoint.

Not that I'm ever going to entertain the idea of buying one or anything ( yuk ) but what I mean is I don't hate it as much as I used to! For me, even the S130 series Z is a model that probably did not really deserve to be called a "Z", let alone this new thing. I think I resented the idea of it being a "Fairlady Z2 more than anything else..............

Interestingly, I already see the whole "Fairlady" / "240Z" name thing happening all over again; In Japan, this new model is called a Fairlady - but ( like I think they should ) it is identified by its model designation of "Z33". All the different versions on sale in Japan are just varieties of Z33 Fairlady. However, in the States and very probably everywhere else outside Japan, its going to be identified as the "350Z". Plus ca change...............

Alan T.

I have to admit, there is one 350 I would actually consider. Since it isn't available in the Us, they have no chance of ever selling me one unless they get their heads out of their rectal areas and offer it here.

In Japan, and possibly other markets, they offer the Track model without the silly Navigation system, no leather interior and all the other "frills" the US model gets. If you are going to call it a Track model, then offer it as one! No frills, just a bare bones, no a/c, no electronic gee-gaws, pure sport model!

I'll go buy a Z-32, and use the money I saved and build a REAL sports car before I buy something like the 350 so-called Track model! Or just add to my 240 collection!

Exactly, and I have read of those models too...The Honda Civic used to (not sure if it still does) come in a HX trim for 2-door only. It had the higher output engine of the top model (LX or EX?), came in 5-speed only and had crank windows, no sunroof, no A/C, junk stereo, no frills at all inside and had great alloys.

steve77

The Japanese car companies have always seemed to keep some of the better models for themselves. However, it seems that this is usually down to a combination of local vehicle law compliance and dumwit distributors / importers who want to keep things simple for themselves.

Certainly here in the UK, from the very earliest days of Nissan / Datsun imports back in the 1960's, we had a franchise company operating as "Datsun UK". They pretty much did what they wanted, and hardly imported any of the two-door, twin carb, or "sporty" models that were available in the Japanese Home Market. Nissan got rid of the franchise and took over the UK sales and service themselves back in the 1980's, but they STILL fight against the negative image that Datsun UK created for them.

They don't seem to realise that selling even just a few of the factory "hot rods" actually pays off hugely in the long run. Honda have done it really well here in the UK, and enhanced their image as the sporty driver's friend no end. Personally, I have always loved the idea of lots of "deletes" ( like the Musclecar era of the late Sixties ) where you could specify a super-basic no-frills package combined with the hottest engine / trans / suspension.

These days, they just seem to ladle on the extras whether you want them or not.

I bet when the Z33 comes to the UK market ( late next year - why so late? ) it will probably be in a one or two model choice with not much personal input from the buyer.

Alan T.

I still don't like it. It's just too heavy, not at all true to my idea of Zness. I guess any rwd sport-oriented machine in the marketplace is a good thing, I just HATE that they didn't do something truly revolutionary, like a Miata-sized coupe, with the VQ engine weighing 2400 lb. That would be something to go after Z06s with at the track, no kidding. What we got was a perfectly acceptable sport/luxury sedan squashed down into a 2-seater with a ridiculous ricerboy strut brace. That won't touch a base model Corvette (I know, the 'Vette costs more). I'd MUCH rather have the G35. Comparing leather 6-speed models, the Infiniti is actually CHEAPER than the Z as well! Too bad they don't make a 280hp 6-speed G35 sedan, and too bad it doesn't look like the Lexus IS300 (except the taillights). Now that's something I might buy for $34,000.

I'd had hope for the Solstice, but now I hear the target weight is 3000(!) lb. instead of the original 2400 lb. Damn.

Dan Baldwin

'71 240Z 3.1, 235 rwhp

COMSCC #7, 2002 SPB class champion

• 4 months later...

I would buy one. Except they are pricey. I did see one

though with a 28grand tag for an entusiast model. (Still pricey for me, but I can agree on that price.)

I wish they were a bit faster 0-60 & 0-100 wise.

I don't want to spend all that on a big heavy car and be

outperformed by the Stang cobras(also in the low 30grand).

But that extra performance can be ousted by the difference in the interior IMO. The stang interior makes my stomach turn a little.

If I did buy a new car I guess it would be the 350 anyway,

just because I want the Z program to survive.

I Really wish they would build the Z off a lighter platform.

That V6 would be great on a lighter 24-2900lbs.

As for the corvette I think the 45-50grand price tag is too much.

You know what kinda a early z that would produce. Well I guess that could apply to 28grand as well.