IGNORED

Heater/AC Removal

Jimmy240Z

Have tried to search the forums looking for info on removing the heater and a/c box from inside my 72 240Z. I need to remove it so that I can finish the rust and rot repair on the passenger side of the car. Didn't know which forum to post this in so if there is a better one please let me know. Thanks!

Jimmy, it's a pretty straightforward process. Hopefully A/C is empty or you'll need to have it vacuumed out first before you remove evaporator unit. It comes out first. Please don't just vent the r-12 into the air! Bad for the environment.

Seems like I also took glove box out so I had more room to operate. Heater box comes out on the passenger side. I also took out the center control panel to get the radio and heater controls out of the way. Just makes it easier. Of course, you'll want to drain out the antifreeze before you disconnect the hoses from the heater core.

While straightforward, it does take some time and some acrobatics on your part to get everything out. While you have it out, probably a good time to lube the control cables, replace the control valve (cheap insurance) and consider replacing the heater box hoses. PM me if you have questions.

Did you get everything out?

Ditto on what bobc posted, I had the glove box out and the center vent control panel. You can do it with just the glove box out but you get so much more room to work (and see) if the center is removed.

I did not go back with a/c after I removed the POS aftermarket system someone put in, and that makes it very, very easy to re-install everything else.

Good luck with your repair.

. Please don't just vent the r-12 into the air! Bad for the environment.

Thats B.S., CFC's create Ozone as fast as they destroy it, they are catalists. Dow chemical lobbiests created this rumor to get congress to outlaw the chemical family in favor of their new green refridgerants back in the 70's. Halon is very close to R-12 and is the only extinguisher agent currently used by the U.S. military. They made it unlawful to Mfg. in the U.S., so we import the stuff at a greatly inflated price from 3rd world countries as a recycled product. Your tax dollars at work. You pay a guy to pump your system only to buy back your own material when paying him to replace it. It's a racket.

Well I got it out. It took me about 2 hours. Hopefully, it will go back together without too much trouble. The prior owner had replaced the A?C with 134a. So there was no need to have it "evacuated". Now all I have to do is finish the metal replacement. So much fun. This car has been a classic example of "if it is too good to be true it is too good to be true" But on I go.

post-3285-14150814044392_thumb.jpg

post-3285-14150814045075_thumb.jpg

post-3285-14150814045672_thumb.jpg

JIM

Have you considered a FULL RESTORATION? It would be so much easier to get all that crap out of the way and fix it properly. No point in putting a bandage on it because you will do that the entire time you own the car. I had to cut out the same areas and mine wasn't even running when I bought it. Just something to consider.

post-19498-14150814047943_thumb.jpg

post-19498-14150814048531_thumb.jpg

Yes I have, I am now looking at the price for all new cores and heater valves, etc. Since I have all that out thought I should fix that too. There are spots under the hood that will require some welding and metal replacement. So on it goes. It might be a full restoration before I finish.

• 2 weeks later...

I am working on my 260 a/c that has a Clardy C4 core ( they are out of business) so I have checked a lot of suppliers. I the process, I have found a new evaporator core for a 240, if you need it, send me a PM