IGNORED

1977 280Z Voltage gauge "Always On?"

awolfe

Awolfe, what everyone else said. I, too, was surprised the V meter always stays on. IMO the current draw isn't infinite or near-infinite, but it is very small in relation to the huge battery. It shouldn't pose any significant battery drainage problem, any more than your clock or the memory on your stereo. In fact the battery would probably lose voltage faster on its own than through drainage by these tiny circuits.

You can get fusible link wire from your local auto parts store. Off hand, I don't know the proper gauges or ampacities, but that info is buried throughout this thread:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35588

I didn't realize that the voltmeter in the later cars was always hot. At first glance that would seem like a problem, however generally analog meters have an input impedance of 10,000 to 20,000 Ohms per volt, so with the scale showing a maximum reading of 16V that comes out to somewhere in the range of 160,000 to 320,000 Ohms. At 12V that calculates to a steady state load of 38-75 micro Amps. At that discharge rate it would take more than 10 years to discharge an 800CCA battery.

So I would say it isn't a cause for concern.

I switched out my ammeter in my 73 to a voltmeter from a 280. To me the voltmeter tells me a lot more about battery and alternator condition. and yes. It shows on all the time.

Just lately my autozone lifetime alternator went bad. I've got a zx one that I'm going to go back with. its autozone lifetime too. came from my rustbucket 81zx.

don

Thanks for all the quick and great advice, I decided to keep it wired as is. The previous owner was a complete nut job and made such a mess of things that i spent 2 days completely rewiring the car.

BTW, does anyone know or have a picture of the proper turn signal/light & wiper control location on the steering colum. I forgot to mark its location when i removed it to resoldier a couple of broken wires.

I think you'd be in the minority. An ammeter can only measure the amount of current to the battery for recharging purposes while a voltmeter directly measures the entire charging system's performance. Has any auto manufacturer even equipped a vehicle with an ammeter since the mid 70s?

Leonard, when your voltmeter reads anywhere north of, say, 13v, your alternator is maintaining the charge. So if my voltmeter were to drop from its usual 14.5 to maybe a steady 12.5, irrespective of RPM, I'd know I was slowly discharging and that my alternator wasn't doing anything. Besides that, there's a little alternator fault light on the 280's voltmeter, and that will probably grab your attention faster than an ammeter needle.