IGNORED

JDM Headlight cover difference.

esprist

Mike, what is it that makes you think that yours are the "originals"? I'm not saying they aren't, I'm just trying to find out what is the difference between your headlight covers and rings and the E4126 prefixed version shown in post #22. What part numbers would you assign to yours?

Alan and Carl have submitted parts #63900-E4100 & #63901-E4100 as the first known available headlight cover sets. If yours are the E4100 suffixed version, how did you determine this? I have been unable to find photographic evidence to identify the "originals".

Hi Ron,

I meant that I believe they are original OEM Nissan parts and not reproductions. When I bought them I was told they were NOS, but without the boxes or hardware. Since the reproductions also don't come with boxes or hardware, I was always skeptical of that claim. See my earlier post #33.

I have one set of lenses and rings that were supposedly OEM, but without the hardware or the boxes (makes me think they are actually repros). I also have one set of used rings that I am certain must be OEM because I got them from an older local guy that had kept them from a car he had years ago. No hardware for them either, but that seems to be fairly easy to recreate. I'll have to dig them out later and see exactly what I have.

The thing that makes me think they are OEM, now that I see them again, is they have the black foam gasket with the gap that Esprist described as being original as compared to the gray gaskets that he noted the reproductions have. From his post #32...

By the way, the reproduction ones have gray rubber gasket all the way around while Genuine

ones have glued black rubber that is almost impossible to remove.

Also, he posted in this other thread about the gap in the gasket on the OEM ones... http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=283627&postcount=34

Finally, I am confident the used set I have are original rings, given the circumstances of where I got them, and both sets of rings fit the same and look to be constructed the same, as opposed to the reproduction rings which don't look like they fit correctly where they come together at the front, as shown in this picture from another thread http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=275419&postcount=25.

As for the part number, I don't really know, but the hole location seems to be the same as the ones that are shown in the old US Datsun Competition catalogs.

-Mike

I understand now. I forgot what you had said in post #33 and thought perhaps once again you had uncovered something new to me. I am curious what the differences between the E4100 & E4126 suffix versions are.

Mike, since you don't have the mounting hardware and if you are not too concerned with originality when you mount yours, you could use these type of threaded inserts, matched up with the appropriate screws for a cleaner, more simplified mounting.

Edited by geezer

Mike, since you don't have the mounting hardware and if you are not too concerned with originality when you mount yours, you could use these type of threaded inserts, matched up with the appropriate screws for a cleaner, more simplified mounting.

Those are interesting Ron. Where would I find them? I'm like Kats in that I really like the look of the headlight covers, but I am hesitant to put holes in my original FRP headlight buckets. If I do decide to mount them I think I will use a spare set of metal headlight buckets. I wouldn't care about putting holes in metal covers and I wouldn't worry about the FRP ones cracking.

-Mike

I have a spare set of 8 I can send you, after I find some chrome, philips head, properly matched machine screws to go with them. I'm doing the same, using metal nacelles instead of the FRP type, for mounting the headlight covers.

• 2 months later...

Besides the bad things going on in today's world , I have a question that may distract the interested in this topic ! :)

I have finally obtained a set of covers ( thanks Gira on ebay Thailand ! )

These are the 3 screw , ''early'' or ''prototype" style from what I gather what Kats was describing . So here it is : Did these require the mounting ''blocks'' or were these fastened directly to the headlight ''nacel'' sp? The way they fit so tightly and how they sit , it seems that a fastener installed directly into the bodywork may give a better fit , I don't know . Was there a part number for the 3 screw covers that described the mounting hardware ?

I haven't drilled any holes yet , I just laid one on to see how it looked/fitted .

Thanks for any response ! :)

Today's repro covers don't fit the early "plastic"/fiberglass buckets properly. They'll fit the steel buckets, though.

I have a set of covers I bought 40 years ago and wanted to replace them (or use modern repros to save them) and the new ones leave about a 1" gap between the cover and bucket near the headlamp.

So, if anyone is planning on buying repros, keep that in mind.

I have a set of covers I bought 40 years ago and wanted to replace them (or use modern repros to save them) and the new ones leave about a 1" gap between the cover and bucket near the headlamp.

An INCH!?

I'm having a hard time getting my head around this. How can there be a 1" gap when you try fitting the repro covers on the OEM FRP / moulded plastic fender extensions / 'sugar scoops', and no gap on the steel versions?

Can you explain in more detail please?

All I can tell you is from what I observed when trying to fit the new covers and what my vendor said regarding the "problems" when fitted to 'glass buckets versus steel buckets.

When fit flush with the "nose" of the bucket, there's a half-inch gap at the top and an inch gap at the bottom side.

Frank

Frank,

I'm still nonplussed. I don't see how there can be such a big difference between the OEM FRP and OEM steel panels.

This thread is about the OEM ( 'factory' ) option / accessory headlamp covers with the plexiglass lenses and steel channel trims around the outside of them, and which fit on the outside of the fender extension / sugar scoop.

You're not talking about the north American aftermarket / non OEM, perspex / acrylic covers that are designed to fit flush with the body by any chance....?