IGNORED

Prototype 3rd Brake Light

Oiluj

One of my co-workers has this on the third light of her VW Beetle. It flashes 3 or 4 times on application and then stays on steady. I asked her about it, and she said she bought the car that way. I haven't yet convinced her to allow me to disassemble her car to see what's in there....

With the hi-intensity LED's, I think and enclosure may be required. I think I'll try designing a strip-light version with 14 LED's that's much shallower.

At approximately 0.75" deep, it will not be visible in the rear view mirror. I'm thinking it would be 0.75" thick and about 2.75" deep.

I found this module and bought one.

FL2S-10A Brake Light Strobe Module

Hope it works. It is supposed to flash for two seconds, then go steady. I don''t have any LEDs yet though. Thought of putting a CB antenna on the lower lip of the back hatch to discourage rear enders. I got hit in the back lightly with my old 240 and the one I have now was rear ended lightly before I got it as well.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=CAR&Page2Disp=%2Fspecs%2Ffl2s-10a.htm

Edited by Mikes Z car

• 2 weeks later...

Mike: Thanks for link to the flasher. It's perfect for the application.

Tomohawk: I'm a compact, (at least height-wise), 5'-7.5 inches tall. There may be a difference in our physical size & visual path geometry when sitting behind the wheel. I can't see the upper rear window seal in my rear-view. Perhaps a benefit of being "vertically challenged". *grin*

Even if you can see the rear upper weather strip in your mirror, the way my LED strip is mounted, it points directly backwards. You can not see it at all in the mirror; not even a reflection of it. You can hardly see it at all when you are standing behind the car, unless it's lit.

Edited by cygnusx1