IGNORED

1973 240Z Refreshtoration – 901 Silver

motorman7

Hey Rich,

Just a quick comment about all your great work! I've began the total refreshtoration (to borrow your description) of my early '74 260Z. It's on the rotisserie and I will begin the long process of grinding/sanding it to bare metal when I get home from work next month.. (I work overseas) My plan is to have the body media blasted, fix a couple small areas of rust, powder coat applied two stage primer and finally paint. I've got the fabrication shop all lined up for all the mentioned work.

I'm very anal retentive as well and have been searching for a way to get the plating finish back on the small pieces without completely breaking the bank at a plating shop. You are spot on about the budget rising without control when the old parts just won't look right on a freshly painted car!! Thanks so much for the pics and information on the plating system that you used!! I'm excited about getting home and starting the process myself.

Fantastic thread.. just fantastic!!

Thanks again!! I'll be watching as you finish this beautiful '73!

Tom

I need to get a new air galley - but have been unable to find one.

FWIW,

Carl B.

MSA shows them in stock. I think I will order mine from there. I spoke with them before about these and they mentioned that they obtain them from a Japanese supplier that makes other parts for Nissan. I also think they have the best price, unless you can find one on e-bay.

Does anyone know of a source for the brake line and fuel line clips and rubber? Also any suggestions on refreshing the lines?

Not sure where to get those new. You can get the clips zinced at a number of local shops. The rubber is a challenge. I have always cleaned up the old rubber. May have to go to the junk yard for those. For the fuel lines, typically I clean them with Scotch brite (just enough to make them look clean) then put a clear hi-heat enamel over them. If you are super serious and industrious, you can remove them completely and get them re-zinced also.

Personally I do my own zinc and love it. It gives me a lot of control over the process and I can do it any time I want.

Rainman-Thanks for the kudos :)-The car is coming along well.

Does anyone know of a source for the brake line and fuel line clips and rubber? Also any suggestions on refreshing the lines?

I bought new clips from Black Dragon last year......they list them as brake hose lock plates and brake hose lock springs.......I bought the rubber blocks from Jim Frederick....Carl could probably tell you if he still has some. Guy

Wow, It's starting to get pretty close to being finished. If I absolutely had to, I could have it running in less than a day. Just need to finish up the carbs, smog stuff and exhaust and a little bit of interior stuff. I'm guessing in two weeks or less that I have it up and running. I need to re-zinc a number of the carb and intake parts.

I got most of the interior parts in. They were really in great condition, so that was a big help. Only had one panel crack to remedy on the passengers quarter panel plastic. The rest was very clean. I will need to get some new rivets from MSA. Some rivets did not do well in the disassembly process. Also lost someof those elusive rivet center pins.

I put the electric antenna in. I was able to cycle it up and down a couple times with my power supply to make sure it worked. The PO gave me two elec antennas in a box. One worked the other didn't. So cleaned and lubed the good one and installed it in the back. Made sure I had a good ground connection to the body.

The big event was putting in the exhaust and intake manifold. I wanted to put in a new air galley, but could not locate one. MSA said they would not have any for a couple months, and I did not want to wait that long. So, I got some high temp paint ($8) that looked close to the zinc and will go with that for now. It's a little bright, but hopefully it will tone down in time. I should be able to zinc the other carb parts and assemble in the next week or so.

I love the fuel line insulation. I plan on installing it all back on the car along with the flat tops. It's so retro and not something you see every day. :D

Got a much needed radiator from Cam, another classiczcar member who actually has more Z's than me. We had a great time talking Z's. I could of stayed there for a couple hours checking out cars and parts but had the wife with me and needed to finish Christmas shopping. Got the Radiator for $65. Also picked up a longer drive shaft to put on the yellow Z.:beer:

Total cost for the silver resto is now $5302. (This does not include gas money for hunting down part)

post-19125-14150813147198_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150813147914_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150813148516_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150813149179_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150813149775_thumb.jpg

I am going the same route this winter.

My 72 is black.

Original colour is 901 silver with red interior.

I have started to dissassemble in preparation for the trip to my brothers body shop.

The pictures and story in this thread give me incentive.

Great looking car!

I am taking pictures and will start a thread shortly.

Casey

Spent most of the day zincing parts for the intake manifold. Boy, there is a lot of tubing on this baby. Guess that's why most people dont care for the flat tops. Will clean up the carbs in the next day or two and hopefully have them on by this weekend. Also got the radiator painted and in. It's progressing.:)

Got the '70 back from the Museum. Sadly, the DHM will be closing it's doors by the the end of January 2011:disappoin. Very happy to have the 70 back, I missed it.

post-19125-14150813163918_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150813164619_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150813165286_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150813165877_thumb.jpg