IGNORED

73 Center Console/Choke Control/AC Question

jaltman

I have been searching for some photos or a thread that describes the method by which the choke control is attached to the center console in the 73 z.

My recent acquisition has the A/C temp control mounted next to the choke lever and the choke control is held in place by a bolt hiding under the A/C control. Its apperant that a PO drilled the hole for the choke bolt and the surroundings are cracking and falling apart.

Photos I have been able to find are from above and it sure doesn't look like the mounting involves a bolt from above. There is also a square hole for something, which is where my a/c wires pass through to the control. What belongs there?

The A/C control housing's ears are also cracked and falling apart.

So............. How is the choke held in place in an original console and anyone know where to get (or got and willing to part with) an A/C control housing in good shape.

Thanks all, I have found a whole lot of good info here, I appreciate it. Most of the things I have had questions about have been answered with use of the search button.

There was a thread in the past about mounting the choke lever. Unfortunately, the mounting point was susceptible to cracking. People reinforced the mounting area or fabricated a bracket to mount the lever to the transmission tunnel. I'm not sure what the light could be for. Nothing in the wiring diagram jumped out at me.

Jim,

Here are some pictures from a '73 console. This is from an automatic, but the choke was mounted the same for auto or manual.

The mounting posts get damaged from the pressure exerted on them when the choke cables start to stick, or from something heavy pushing down on the lever. I'm in the process of restoring several consoles and have not arrived at a method of reinforcing the mounting. Notice the big hole in the center area. I have no idea what that was for, but it will be plugged.

post-19963-1415081230451_thumb.jpg

Choke mounting posts - (gear shift at top) the post beneath the large circular hole and to the right of it are the mounting points.

post-19963-14150812305248_thumb.jpg

Choke in place top view (ashtray at bottom)

post-19963-14150812305926_thumb.jpg

Choke in place lever side view

post-19963-14150812306527_thumb.jpg

Choke in place front to back view

post-19963-14150812307206_thumb.jpg

Side view - notice typical damage to mounting post

Those broken bosses are pretty typical. I had the same condition and ground the entire choke boss down and used a piece of lucite and gorilla glue to make a new one to screw into. If the bosses are just cracked, I've found that ABS glue embedded with fiberglass strands (wrapping around the boss) works pretty well.

AH! Thanks all. Especially for the pictures. So it screwed in from below. I have been doing my homework and I read somewhere that the rectangular hole was for a light switch on Euro models and never used in the U.S. Thats where my a/c wires come up.

I guess now I have to decide whether to try and repair mine. I could epoxy and use the bolt as the sins and scars will be hidden by the a/c control.

Edited by jaltman

Jim,

I mounted a choke bracket to the transmission tunnel under the ash tray using a piece of metal as the support.

I'm sorry I don't have a photo but I found articles on Hybrid Z under:"Lever relocation" and "Choke bracket".

If you have the DVD from Z Therapy: "Datsun 240-280ZX Tune Up" they show how to make a re-enforced choke plate

Dave Ruiz

:beer:

• 3 weeks later...

Can I ask a similar question? I pulled apart my blower assembly and vent controls to install a new heater core and the honda blower motor upgrade (awesome!)... but that was like 18 months ago. I now have everything ready to put back together, but cannot for the life of me remember how the vent open/close wire attaches to the blower housing. I've looked in the factory manual as well as chiltons and haynes, but to no avail. Can someone snap a pic or 2?