IGNORED

23k mile 1972 in Seattle area

Mike B

Well, whad'ya know? Look what just popped up in the CZC classifieds:

http://www.datsunclassifieds.com/showproduct.php?product=5399

That's funny. We must be too scary to reply to or post a thread directly. At least there are some decent pictures posted of the car outside now. It looks good from the pictures.

Apparently the price went back up to $1.28 a mile now too.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37705

-Mike

I still love 919 yellow....

What do you think a nice '71 in 905 red would go for? LOL

Since I like to drive my cars (not store and preserve them), the 23k of the car in question - if confirmed - would be on the low side for my comfort.

Sorry Arne, the yellow one is outside your mileage range at just 19.5k LOL. Unless, maybe you get a three car garage, keep the red one, and then get the yellow and orange one too. Then you could split the mileage amongst the three of them. That would keep the miles on all three pretty low :).

-Mike

That's funny. We must be too scary to reply to or post a thread directly. At least there are some decent pictures posted of the car outside now. It looks good from the pictures.

Apparently the price went back up to $1.28 a mile now too.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37705

-Mike

I pm'd him and suggested he consider introducing himself to the forum and telling the story of how he came to own the car. I'd be interested to hear more details.

I still love 919 yellow....

What do you think a nice '71 in 905 red would go for? LOL

:bulb:I bid 10 grand...end of auction...bidding closed. Winning bidder - Gary S.!!!:bulb:

There you go Arne, there's your seed money for 919 yellow!

The cork on the air cleaner isn't original. :-D

No, but that battery is pretty darn cool, even if it has no juice left:).

Gary S.

Sorry Arne, the yellow one is outside your mileage range at just 19.5k LOL.
I could probably overlook that for 919. But first I'd need to sell the red car, and it's probably worth more to me than others would be willing to pay.

$25K for the yellow car still seems kind of steep to me. Two years ago you could have bought HLS30-00048 for $22.5K http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32495. It was totally restored and is now part of the "Z Mecca" collection. A big part of #48's value is its low VIN (at least to some people), so you could drive it and maintain it without decreasing the value much. The yellow 71 has most of its value based on the low mileage, so if you drive it, it would depreciate rapidly.

-Mike

$25K for the yellow car still seems kind of steep to me.

Agreed - $18K to $20K would be reasonable for a buyer.

Two years ago you could have bought HLS30-00048 for $22.5K

As I recall that was $22.5K Canadian or about $18K USD

It was totally restored and is now part of the "Z Mecca" collection. A big part of #48's value is its low VIN (at least to some people),

I would say a part of its value was the low VIN - the BIG PART was the over-all condition of every nut, bold and screw. The low VIN would help attract attention and it would sell more quickly - but over-all condition if far more important.

so you could drive it and maintain it without decreasing the value much.

To a point I'd agree. However if you drive it to the point that all that bright shinny yellow Cad plating started to turn color and deteriorate - the value of the car would go down quickly. You would be moving it from #1 / #2 Condtion to #3... and there is a large gap in value there.

The yellow 71 has most of its value based on the low mileage, so if you drive it, it would depreciate rapidly.

The value of "low mileage" is really based on the expectation/assumption that mileage is directly related to "condition". With the two cars we are discussing that would seem to be a valid expectation/assumption; but it is not always the case. If you drove them and held their condition the same as it is now - it really wouldn't effect their value if they had 19K / 23K miles - or if they had 25K / 29K miles.

With all these "Classics" CONDITION is KING. Mileage isn't even on the judging sheet that I know of. Although - again - very low mileage attracts more attention/interest and makes the car easier to resell.

Edited by Carl Beck