IGNORED

Engine water drain plug

Doehring

Sorry to drag this one out of the archives, but does anyone know the size of this bolt? I don't have a metric socket large enough for it, and it's hard to get a good look at a tape measure on it. I'm thinking it's around 22mm, but I thought I'd ask.

Also, does anyone know the size of the oil pan drain plug? I took mine off with a crescent wrench, but since I'm picking up a proper sized socket for the coolant drain plug, I figured I'd grab one for the oil pan drain as well.

Thanks!

Hello Doehring. You have prob. figured this out by now, but the size socket that you are looking for is a 22mm. That is good for the oil drain plug as well. As for removing the block side drain, I would not bother. Unless you are worried about non antifreeze treated water freezing and cracking the block there is no reason to worry about it. If you are just changing antifreeze mix and want a thorough drain, just flush with garden hose and recheck mix when it blends with water later. I say this because that side plug is a bugger to remove withe the block out of the car, never mind trying to do it where you can't get leverage.