IGNORED

Need Series 1 Radio Wiring Pictures

JohnnyO

Here is a copy of the TM-1081ZA radio manual that came with HLS30-000210.

Also, I have noticed that in the 1970 owners manuals dated from December 1969 through July 1970, the radio is shown with a red "indicate light" (turns on when power is applied). However, in the November 1970 owners manual, it shows a green "indicate light". I'm not sure when the change occurred exactly, but that may be the visual difference between the TM-1081ZA and TM-1081ZB. The attached radio manual refers to it as the "Pilot lamp".

I've got several of the early AM radios now. I'll see if I can get them together and try to confirm my theory about the light color and model soon.

Does anyone have a copy of the TM-1081ZB brochure they can post scans of?

-Mike

post-9102-14150812047675_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150812048263_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike B

I've got several of the early AM radios now. I'll see if I can get them together and try to confirm my theory about the light color and model soon.

I took a quick look and found several of the TM-1081ZA. They all have the red indicator light. I could only find one of the TM-1081ZB and it had the green light, so I think that may be an easy way to differentiate the two. If anyone has a TM-1081ZA with a green light let me know.

-Mike

I took a quick look and found several of the TM-1081ZA. They all have the red indicator light. I could only find one of the TM-1081ZB and it had the green light, so I think that may be an easy way to differentiate the two. If anyone has a TM-1081ZA with a green light let me know.

-Mike

I don't have my factory radio installed so I can't say for certain right now, but I could have sworn that the indicator light in mine is red, not green. To check that, I'll need to dig it out of storage. Not sure when I'll have time for that.

Ditto on the red indicator light on my TM-1081ZA Mike and thanks for posting the manual scans.

John, I also removed the cover for the power wires out of curiosity and found it would be a very simple job to change the wiring configuration right at the radio instead of using an adapter harness, if you wanted to.

That does look easy Ron. I see if I can track down the correct wire colors and give it a go next week maybe.

I wonder if I can change the indicator light? Where exactly is that?

If you want, we can just unsolder each of our leads and swap them. That would make it easier for both of us.

I took a pic of the red indicator, but didn't study it yet to see how easy it would be to change out. I don't want to change mine anyhow. Maybe, a piece of transparent red plastic might be all you need to change the color of your indicator light. I started removing the panels from the chassis, so I can give this radio a thorough cleaning before lubricating the moving parts.

If you want, we can just unsolder each of our leads and swap them. That would make it easier for both of us.

Or you could just swap radios if they both work. That way you both get the correct one for your cars with no cord or indicator light swapping. Just a thought.

-Mike

Or you could just swap radios if they both work. That way you both get the correct one for your cars with no cord or indicator light swapping. Just a thought.

-Mike

I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting that. I haven't even tried to power mine up in the 4 years that I've had it, don't know if it works and it is also in need of a complete cosmetic restoration. I paid next to nothing for it and am just now considering what it will need so I can possibly use it in my car. It's actually going to be a toss up between the stock(ish) AM radio or a radio delete plate.

One of these would be perfect.

Edited by geezer

Thanks Ron. Not too concerned about the indicator light if that is all it is. As far as the wires go, It might be easier just to put a new connetor on the end.

I have spares of both types if you want one. You would need the SM3 connector and a bullet I think. Maybe that's the opposite of what you need. I'm too tired to go look.LOL!

I tested my radio today with the antenna wire hooked up and it works great, auto seeked perfectly and found all 5 strong AM stations in my area. All the lights work and it actually sounds pretty good for a 40 year old radio. Not sure what everybody complains about.

I wouldn't be comfortable trading but I may be coming into another one soon (and a complete late series 1 vin 20000 ish) that I will be parting out. Looks pretty complete except the seats are gone.

Also was alerted about a 69 in my area. Was told it might be a mid 700 build. You know the story, old guy, parked for years, blah, blah, blah. Will be checking it out soon!

John