IGNORED

Positive battery terminal safety tip

woytovich

Well I finally got around to putting a Group 24 battery in my 71 240z today. As others have mentioned, there is a certain amount of anxiety regarding the placement of the positive battery terminal and clamp being so close to the fender sheet metal. I know using a Group 24F battery solves the "problem" but I had already purchased the 24...

So, I grabbed some thick rubber sheeting I have around here, cut a hole in it for the positive terminal with a large flap left over on the outboard side. Slipped it over the terminal, installed the terminal and left the flap to fold over the top of the terminal. (I was sure to make the hole large enough to allow the clamp to push down sufficiently.)

I feel better this way.

The pictures tell the story.

Cheap and effective.

Mark

post-20328-14150811392886_thumb.jpg

post-20328-14150811393495_thumb.jpg

The factory positive cable end had (still has, in my case) a rubber insulating cover that you have to peel back to get to the terminal.

I like that... but as someone mentioned, the rubber flap protects the wrench too...

I even think I'm going to make a larger one to really keep a wrench on the terminal away from the fender...

Looks good, looks like the flap will help prevent grounding a wrench to the fender also (never want to do that again).
I like that... but as someone mentioned, the rubber flap protects the wrench too...

I even think I'm going to make a larger one to really keep a wrench on the terminal away from the fender...

This is why you always disconnect the ground cable FIRST. Then there's no chance at all of arcing with the wrench. No need for rubber if you use proper technique. :cool:LOLROFL

• 3 weeks later...