IGNORED

engine doesn't get hot

Hey guys,

I can't seem to get my engine over a quarter of the way on the temp gauge, i used both a 180 and a 160 thermo from msa and with the same results, i had a mechanic put one of those guns on my thermostat and it read only 140 after a long drive

I know i shouldn't be complaining givin the z's overheating problems but because the engine doesn't get very hot it seems to not like to idle

any ideas????

Zs don't have an "overheating problem". And a motor that runs at 140 degrees will return poor fuel milage and will wear-out in no time...

Agreed, but what's causing this to happen to his engine? Strange!

In the meantime, you could try a hotter plug to get it to idle better.

I'd make sure your thermostats are at least working... I know the odds are low, but maybe you have two defective ones that are staying wide-open regardless of temperature.

Think of it this way: your engine is producing a ton of excess heat as it produces power, and that heat has go to somewhere. Your engine-block and cylinder head are a wizz poor heat exchanger with the air, and really can't get rid of that energy without the radiator.

If your mechanic measured the thermo housing temp, and only got 140, that would tell me that the coolant was actually running through the radiator after all, most likely uninhibited.

You can test your thermostats by suspending them in some string in a pot of hot water with a candy thermometer (and I say suspending them in order to keep them off the bottom. The bottom of an actively heated pan will be hotter than the water inside, and if in contact with the thermostat, will conduct a lot of heat into it, affecting your test).

My first thought was that your thermostat was stuck open, or not installed. The Fan's clutch was mentioned, which if the thermostat was functioning properly wouldn't have that much effect.

Are you sure all six cylinders are firing? You may be "running" but you may not have all six working. It's a WAG, but....

The last suggestion I have is similar, have you had the carbs balanced properly? Just another WAG.

E

If you have an air pocket at the thermostat, in the housing, It will not heat up enough to open the thermostat. Park your Z on a hill, so that the front is higher than the rear, this should help force the air to the highest point so you can completely top off the cooling system.

180 is ideal but I've known people to run 185 and 190's

I have a Huge Aluminum Radiator, 50/50 coolant and a 180 stat and my guage still says it's an 1/8" below center on the gauge. Not a bad thing but I was concerned at first. took longer to get her up to temp for best operating temp.

Dave

Take a reading between cyl 5 and 6 on the drivers side of head. Very and i mean very unlikely you are running that cold even with no thermo in there. If you took it out for a spirited run and banged threw 1-3rd wot even with no thermo the temp would be 160-200.

Back of head between 5-6 is gonna show 20 more than whats in radiator as well.

Chances are your thermo is stuck wide open but i am guessing faulty testing equipment.

ok ill stop by the autozone and give it a nice go through with your suggestions, i know this is a idiot idea, but the spring side of the thermo goes on the bottom right???? hey don't laugh :)

Umm alright ill go through all these and see what i come up with, fyi it read 140 with the car off after a long ride, and i was there for an inspection, not the cold temp, he just told me it as a after though and hit it with the gun

ill post after some tests, thanks for the suggets