IGNORED

Need transverse link bolts or car is a lawn ornament!

woytovich

Can you help me locate these parts:

These are the bolt/nut that hold the transverse link to the body in my 71 240z

BOLT (#54436-E4100)

NUT (#08912-84410)

WASHER (#56114-09400)

I need 2 each... they are discontinued by Nissan as far as I can tell.

I can provide pictures if you need....

THANK YOU!

Mark

Mark:

I came to me senses when I realized there is a transverse link in the front too. Dang near went batty lookin' for that part number in the rear end part of the FSM... then that picture in post #3 really threw me. Is that what was holding the transverse link up till now? Wow!

I'm sure I dig up a spare set. Drop me a note z240@shaw.ca and we'll get together.

Mark:

I came to me senses when I realized there is a transverse link in the front too. Dang near went batty lookin' for that part number in the rear end part of the FSM... then that picture in post #3 really threw me. Is that what was holding the transverse link up till now? Wow!

I'm sure I dig up a spare set. Drop me a note z240@shaw.ca and we'll get together.

Yes, and the "washer" is shaped to fit it...

WHAT is that thing? Is it not stock? Was it some one-off thing? Was it an aftermarket thing? (note the hex shape of the washer and the lip where it sits in a recessed hole)

I REALLY need to see another 71 240z in this section to understand what is going on...

Mark

post-20328-14150811342065_thumb.jpg

Edited by woytovich

Yes, and the "washer" is shaped to fit it...

WHAT is that thing? Is it not stock? Was it some one-off thing? Was it an aftermarket thing? (note the hex shape of the washer and the lip where it sits in a recessed hole)

I REALLY need to see another 71 240z in this section to understand what is going on...

Mark

Might be this aftermarket part - http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/zr/full.aspx?Page=41

88-702

Yep, that's them. Not a bad product in my opinion, but they would be greatly improved if there was a way to lubricate them without taking them apart. Mine were galled/fused to the bolts so badly there was no way to take them apart without cutting the bolts. Years of sitting neglected didn't help.

PS-You didn't need two threads to get to the bottom of this issue Mark.

THESE... Are The correct bolts you need, if you're using the stock bushings.

Need them?

Dave

But those bolts will not work with the rest of what I have... (will they?)

The hex washer thing fills a hole in the body side of the mount that is 1 1/8" diameter. It has a hole in it that is not round and is not centered. If I use the bolts you have will I be needing to drill out the hole to round?

This "washer" is what rests against the end of the bushing. Once it is torqued down the TA will move up/down with the rotation of the steel on steel of the washer in the hole in the mount I guess? What an odd set up...

Can you tell me how it is SUPPOSED to work? (the up/down movement of the TA and the attachment of the TA tot eh body)

Arrrgghh...

Mark

PS and I'm sorry if I started 2 threads... the first was a torque question, I didn't want to loose the opportunity for help on the broader question of what is going on with this bolt...

What you have in you car is a camber adjustment kit from Specialty Products

http://www.spcalignment.com/PROD_DIR/SPC_PROD_SEARCH_DYN.cfm?cmd=Cam&cmd2=83115&cmd3=

When I took my car in to get it aligned at Les Schwab. the guy pulled that exact kit out saying it was the oldest parts he had and was shocked that he had it at all in the first place.

Check out the installation instructions, what they do with that is cut a larger hole in your front cross brace 54401-E4100. install the eccentric and adjust your camber. You can never go back, once the hole is cut the stock bolt will no longer fit. To be stock again you would need to get a new cross brace.

When you posted the picture of the transverse link bushing in the first post of the other thread, That is the correct STOCK bushing, that should be used with the bolt that I posted above in post #6.

The picture below shows what the arm looks like if you tear out the stock bushing, cut the sleeve and pry the sleeve out to either #1 replace it with Poly Urethane Bushings (aftermarket Energy Suspension Part) or #2 Prepare it for a New Rubber bushing (Stock one just like in the #1 post of the other thread)

The one you have is an "Adjustable Camber" style that the Previous Owner obviously put in. So you have 3 choices.

#1 Put the one you have back in using the equipment you have, if that's possible.

#2 Put a stock bushing back in with the proper bolts like in Post #6

#3 Buy an after market Urethane bushing kit and instal it using the stock bolts like in post #6

Does that clear things up or confuse you more? Trying to help here.

Dave

post-4921-14150811343246_thumb.jpg