IGNORED

Why can't I get my evap tank installed?

JohnnyO

Thanks everybody! I think I will take Jim (zKars) up on his offer.

Best I can guess is that the PO replaced it because it was leaking. He saved every receipt so I will find the part number and go through the invoices some day and figure out when it was replaced.

What gets me is that, although I remember it being in rather loosely, it was installed and the panel sat flush before I removed it. That's why I was so determined to get it in that I put a reverse dent above the fuel door. It's small but it bothers me because I just got it back from paint.

This car was originally sold at Dragonetti Motors in San Mateo and I would assume its port of entry was in California. The 1970 FSM has an asterik in the fuel section that talks about California cars having additional vent hoses.

While I wait for the plastic tank from Jim I will hang the metal tank from the screw holes so I can get to tuning the engine. My goal is to have it running by Fathers day and completed by July 1. I am almost there.

I know most people get rid of the tanks but if anybody needs a metal one let me know and I will pay it forward.

Again, I want to thank everyone for the help. You guys rock!

John

Edited by JohnnyO
Clarified which Jim I was talking about.

I agree that is should have the plastic tank, but I was just trying to confirm that is what he is trying to reinstall, not the later metal tank. I believe the metal tanks are a little larger, which is why the bump out in the right side plastic interior panel is also larger.

Here is a picture of a stock plastic tank installed I found in an old thread, if that helps.

-Mike

Yeah, that would fit so much better than the metal one. I searched for "evap tank" and didn't get any pictures like that. It looks like my problem will be solved in a week or so. Thanks for the picture and the offer. If the one Jim has gets lost in customs I will let you know.

John:beer:

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up on this thread. Jim (zKars) got me all set up for the cost of shipping from Alberta and the tank was in great shape and has been installed without incident (I didn't break it!)

Thanks for all the help.

John