IGNORED

Manual to automatic transmission swap

conedodger

I am parting a 2/72 that was an auto. I got it with no motor or trans, but it does have the pedal box and the clutch master block off plate too. there might be some other pieces you need as well.

let me know if you are interested. I'm selling everything cheap.

Dave

• 3 months later...

i have all you need i have no use for it its in realy good condition i have the flywheel torque converter the pedal starter all the pipe and the plate ill even give you the console for it let me know if u are interested im here in stockton so u can pic it up ill sell it for really cheap

When I had an automatic in my old Z I used a limit switch with a roller on the arm mounted to the firewall on the engine side that the throttle linkage would press against to operate the kickdown. Also ended up wiring the A/C compressor power wire through it so it would cut the A/C under hard throttle. Was always a little tempted to wire in a second button I could push to trigger the kickdown.

The brake pedal fits from the automatic, just remove the clutch pedal.

As pointed out above make sure you get good airflow through an external cooler if you use one. I got stuck in traffic around lake tahoe when I first did the swap to auto on my old Z and it started shifting real hard. After that I added a fan to the external cooler till I later had to replace the radiator and used one with a cooler built in.

I did my swap at the time for a similar reason, we could only afford one car so it was convert the Z to something she would enjoy driving on a regular basis or replace it. It was funny though, I just left my center console the same with the shifter coming up through the old boot and she never had any trouble getting it in the right gear but the guy at the tire shop could not get the car into reverse for anything.

I also changed the worn out 2.4 in it to a used 2.8 so can't comment on exactly how different it feels.

Edited by ta240

i have all the parts u need to do the swap and im in stockton i have no use for it ill give it all to you for 50 dollars its the starter flywheel torque converter transmission piping even the mount and the break pedal thats every thing u need to do the swap let me know before i start trowing it away

Give her the keys and take her to a large parking lot, then get out, get a cup of coffee and book and let her have some alone time with the car and parking lot.

That might work. Not.

My problem is that the car has new paint, new interior including a new dashboard. It is essentially a new looking Datsun Z with a track car suspension and warmed up engine. If I turned her loose in a parking lot I would need Propofol and Versed (anesthesia and sedation drugs) instead of coffee and a book... I remember teaching her to drive. She drove right through a bus shelter with me screaming "STOP - STOP - STOP!" Once she had killed the shelter, she stopped and got out and I drove home. :paranoid:

Teaching her to drive a manual transmission was the plan and she was good with that until one of you guys mentioned converting it to an automatic at one of my Reunion events. Then she turned to me and said, "you can do that?" and there has never been any doubt in her mind since then that this is the plan. :ogre:

i have all the parts u need to do the swap and im in stockton i have no use for it ill give it all to you for 50 dollars its the starter flywheel torque converter transmission piping even the mount and the break pedal thats every thing u need to do the swap let me know before i start trowing it away

I will take them. I think the center console might be a bit different too? No?

Not sure what ratio it is but it stays. It has a Datsun Comp LSD. :)

Being an R200 there's a good chance that it is. I was just wondering because the auto trans 240s came with a 3.54 and if you had a 3.36 it would be a little less "spirited" off the line. It's cool that you're doing the swap to allow you wife to enjoy driving a Z.

Steve