IGNORED

Got new rims... bolts/studs too short!

Decoy12

Hello everyone... I am a newbie and this is my first post. Basically I bought slotted mags for my 240. I had bought some before, but they were 13'' and i wanted to stick with the 14''. So the other day, my father borrowed my Z and he ran over a screw and got a flat tire. I had to replace the tires anyway, so i got the slot mags and caps, along with good tires. I was all excited because I have not driven it in a week and i thought I'd be driving it to work tomorrow. So I got the tire off and found out the bolts/studs were too short!! :stupid: I was wondering if anyone knows how I can fix it and if about how much it will cost ( I get paid tomorrow, but I borrowed money to buy the wheels today!) :mad: :cry:

You will need to install longer wheel bolts. That means you need to remove your wheels and the front hubs (good time to repack your bearings) and most likely hammer or press the existing bolts out before inserting newer and longer ones. Remember to get ones with the same pitch as the existing ones (take a nut with you to verify this at the auto parts store).

The stock wheel studs should be long enough to mount 14" slotted mags. Perhaps you simply have the wrong lug nuts. On standard slotted mags the stock wheel studs will only extend past the wheel face a fraction of an inch. The lug nuts then extend inside the wheel thickness.

The lug nuts should have a shoulder on them, that is just short of sticking though the thickness of the aluminum wheel.

Unless of course you are using wheels with the wrong off-set and require thick spacers.

Post a picture of what you have...

Edited by Carl Beck

The stock wheel studs should be long enough to mount 14" slotted mags. Perhaps you simply have the wrong lug nuts. On standard slotted mags the stock wheel studs will only extend past the wheel face a fraction of an inch. The lug nuts then extend inside the wheel thickness.

The lug nuts should have a shoulder on them, that is just short of sticking though the thickness of the aluminum wheel.

Unless of course you are using wheels with the wrong off-set and require thick spacers.

Post a picture of what you have...

That is what I was thinking too.

Yep, as Carl said make sure you get shank-style lugnuts that are slightly shorter than the thickness of the wheel hub. They come in three lengths ranging from about 3/8" to a little over 3/4". The 1/2" depth nuts are getting rather hard to find in M12x1.25. I have searched high and low locally for a spare set for the LeMons car and have struck out. I'll have to order them online and pay $$$.

If you decide to go the longer stud route. A good option are the Rear Studs of a Nissan Quest. You can put these on the front and rears... I have done so, and I never have to worry about too short of studs again. I believe any year works. You can purchase these at your local Napa shop.

Thanks Michael. I'll check them out. I can buy the long length all day long for just over a buck each, but to get the mediums, I have to pay $4/ea. :tapemouth

I could cut the longs down, but they are chromed and tapered, so it would be a pain.

Hey guys thanks for all the replies and sorry I'm getting back so late. Unfortunately I work all day friday-saturday, so I don't have time during the day to take pictures although I will try. I think I understand though about the lug nuts being different and it makes sense. The rim is a lot thicker than the steelies it had for the hubcaps so the bolts are flush with the rim. Now I did contact the guy and he said that he will look for the lug nuts it originally had on his Z. If I am understanding correctly, the lug nuts go 'inside' the rim, so the length of the bolt is alright as is. The rims came off of a 1971 240, and mine's a '72, so I am not sure if the off-set is any different.

Sounds right. The lugnuts for the steel wheels are cone seats and the alloy lugnuts are the shank style. Do NOT try to use the tapered cone lugnuts! With a small ruler, measure the thickness of the rim through a lug hole. Repeat for all four rims as they might not be a matching set. I have a set of rims that look identical, but the hubs are thicker on two, requiring different length nuts. After 35-40 years, you never know for sure that one or more wasn't replaced at some point. Once you measure the rims, compare the thickness to the various shank nuts available. Keep in mind that the nuts have a loose washer that must be used. The nut measurement must be taken with the washer in place. The shank from washer to the end of the nut MUST be shorter than the wheel hub thickness. 1/16" should be fine.