IGNORED

Cricket, Cricket, Cricket

jay1161970

From the little first hand information available to me a stock 280ZX 2+2 was quicker around a race circuit than the equivalent S30 2+0 back in the day. If you read the Nissan book on the development of the S130 its not hard to see why, Nissan developed one from the other while taking into account changes in the market and additional safety requirements. I have owned and modified both although my S130 is an import 2+0 and a lot better looking car than the 2+2 and prefer the S130 mainly because it is structurally, dynamically and aero wise a superior car, plus with some mods looks great. Pics below.

post-3852-14150811591118_thumb.jpg

post-3852-14150811591625_thumb.jpg

a stock 280ZX 2+2 was quicker around a race circuit than the equivalent S30 2+0 back in the day.

Speed is not what makes a sports car. If that were the measurement, a Camary would be a better sports car then a Miata.

A sports car is all about the harmony and feedback it provides the driver. In that sense the S130 lost the soul of a sports car.

Edited by Gary in NJ

I'll start by saying that I have never driven an S30, and have sat in only one that is in operational condition. As such, I cannot, nor will I attempt to compare the two for driving dynamics or performance. However, from going from car to car, sitting in the parking lot, I did notice a few little differences.

I felt the S130 had a smaller blind spot and a bit more cargo area. The seats, while different, were comfortable in both cars, though I was able to recline a few degrees more in my ZX than in the 240. I didn't feel as confined/claustrophobic in the ZX, though that may have had more to do with the interior colors than actual interior space.

the S30 and S130 have very different characters. They really did not target the same market segment with the S130.

Different characteristics for different cars, different requirements for different times, though my perception is that Nissan was targeting the same market segment. Most S130s are 2 seaters after all (FYI: My speedo goes to 120), and as far as the US market was concerned, the Z/ZX was the only sports car being sold by Nissan.

Nissan used modern technology and added value to compete with their contemporaries/competitors... (Imagine if MG had done this? That storied marque may have kept its market share from being eroded by Nissan and others... )

Now, aside from the mandated federal changes, the S130 had disc brakes all around, power windows and mirrors, cruise control, and air conditioning as standard equipment. These same items were optional for the 1979 Chevrolet Corvette ( http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1979-corvette1.htm ) and the ZX still had a lower base price...

I tend to prefer light, small and nimble over comfort and luxury. I have never thought of the S130 as any of the first three. Perhaps that's a bit unfair, but that's how I perceive them.

(Bold for emphasis was my doing)

Yes, the S130 is larger all around. It's a bit longer, a bit wider. Yes, it's a bit heavier than the 280Z. It had to be, as emission and safety regulations kept getting tighter (but that's been covered before, as it happened within the S30 model line as well).

I wonder what the weight difference between the two models would be if you were to take my reinforced doors and heavy steel bumpers and (theoretically) put them on an S30...

Personally, I find my S130 to be both comfortable and nimble. I wouldn't balk at driving cross country (assuming all was in proper running order), nor have I ever had any problems with agility... As to being small, the ZX is pretty close to the size of a BMW z3, and they're not big cars...

A sports car is all about the harmony and feedback it provides the driver. In that sense the S130 lost the soul of a sports car.

I am curious: Are you basing this opinion on personal driving/ownership experience or is this simply your opinion? Not trying to impune you, just looking for clarification.

I ask because I know exactly what my S130 is doing, and how it's reacting to the road. Steering is tight, precise, and smooth. Braking is even and strong throughout the pedal's travel, be it a slow stop or an emergency one. The ride feels planted, solid, and surefooted (and not because of the weight). The only time I drove in a pack of Z cars (Tail of the Dragon) I had no problems keeping up with the S30s on the road. I know my car, I know how it will react. I feel more confident driving the ZX in snow and ice than I do my Infiniti I30 with its ABS and traction control. Granted, that's an apples to oranges comparison.

I would be interested to know exactly what the S30 tells it's driver that the S130 is neglecting to mention...

I can tell you one thing that ZX's are great at. Find yourself an auto trans ZX. Put it in reverse, stand on the brake and hit the gas, then put it back in D and hit the gas (still standing on brake). Do this back and forth as many times as you like to amuse your friends as the arse end of the car rises and falls 10".

Another thing they are apparently very good for is providing retrofit parts to S30 owners. Engines, transmissions, R200 differentials, distributors and mounting plates, internally regulated alternators, etc. If you feel the S130 is so horrible and is only worthy of being physically abused, please apply your disdain of the model to all its parts and leave them for those that need and/or appreciate them. Thanks.

(Side note: I wonder if an automatic S30 would behave in the same way. Anyone care to subject their car to this treatment? Solely for comparison's sake, of course!!)

For those of you who have never driven an S130, find one and take it for a drive-just try to do so with an open mind.

I promise that if I ever have a chance to drive an S30, I will not berate it for what it isn't, I will enjoy it for what it is.

:beer:

Edited by zbane

Well said David.

People forget the "ambiance" of the times.

During the late 70's, Disco was hugely popular and it's shunned with a strong shudder nowdays. I'm not relating Disco to the ZX, but to the fact that there were numerous trends going on during those years that are now, literally, openly scorned at. Mullets, Farah Fawcett long hair on men, bell bottoms, hip-hugger pants for men, hot pants for women, high heeled shoes for men, polyester leisure suits, are but just some of the ones that come to mind as having negative connotations.

Negative connotations... NOW, but back then ....

ZX's were designed, targeted and marketed to the "Yuppies" - Young Upwardly Mobile individuals with $MONEY$ and a desire for a "hot" and "flashy" car that was comfortable. Look at the other cars of the era, the Monte Carlo, the LTD, the Lincoln Mark IV, just to mention the land cruisers, and you can see why COMFORT was so important.

But enough, Z owners have a bad habit, they constantly degrade and disrespect other cars and sometimes, they especially nit-pick their own marque. Is it any wonder that prices for any car in the complete lineup of Datsun/Nissan are always haggled down? It's the owner's themselves.

Until we as the enthusiasts value these cars more, they will not go up in value. As long as they are viewed as disposable cars, they will not be worth keeping...

I'll put it this way, any ZX owner who doesn't like his car, you can give it to me.

E

• 3 months later...

I'll give the 280ZX this, for the time span it was out it was one of the nicest new cars on the market. I rather own the ZX in those years over the same year Corvette. The Z drove nicer and was more comfortable, and that is what you bought at that time. It was a bad time in automotive industry for performance, luxury and style was the key. However their was one car in that time I've always wanted to get, that was a Toyota MKII supra.