IGNORED

new headlights

maeckj

I gotta threadjack this one. How far + on the Ammeter is a bad thing? I knew a big drain was bad, but didnt think charging was.
With stock wiring, my car consistently showed a slight + charge, maybe 5 amps at most. It bounced around that point a bit with the original points-type regulator, much more steady with the internal regulator in the ZX alternator.

After the relay installation (I have both the headlight and tail light relay harnesses), the ammeter is the same as before with the lights off, a very slight + charge. With the lights on , it hovers higher, probably around +15 or so.

Bear in mind that these readings are from a car in excellent condition, and that is driven regularly. A significant + charge is normal if your battery is a bit low from sitting unused or such. But once the battery is charged, the regulator should deliver output just slightly in excess of the total load. When the load changes, the charge should quickly step up to match. That's why you will see a quick jump and return of the needle when you step on the brakes or something similar increases the load.

If anyone wants a black dragon harness for the 240Z You can have mine for $15. plus shipping. I bought Dave's after I looked at the black dragon one.. It's new, if anyone wants it please PM me. My advice is to go with Dave's unit but if you want to save some money and have the time this unit will work for you.

where does the new harness plug in at? (guessing they both plug in around the same place)
Can't say about the BD unit as I've never seen one. Dave's connects to the main harness where the right headlight pigtail normally connects. Both headlight pigtails connect to Dave's harness instead. Dave includes a blank sealing plug to cap off the main harness connector for the left headlight. That, an additional ground wire and connecting the power supply wire to the battery is it. Totally simple and trouble-free.

An alternative is to purchase Trucklite's New 7" LED headlights. I just put a pair in my 260, they put out pure white light, are DOT approved, pull 2.5 amps on low beam, 4.5 amps on high. they are plug in, and do not require a harness modification.

The $250.00 each price tag may be prohibitive, but they sure make a difference in vison at night, and set the car out from the rest.

These lights in their 24 volt form, were developed for the military, and are on the governments "Munutions List", sale outside of the USA is prohibited. I love mine.

None taken. Just figured I'd try and save you some time and keep you from cutting up your stock harness. I also realize that "Completely Unmolested" is not always an issue with all 240Z owners, so if you gotta cut it to make it better, by all means, please do so.

Most people not only like my harness for what it does, but it's ease of instal and lack of harm to the stock harness. The whole process is completely reversable if needed. Just unplug it, unmount it and make the stock connections. Done.

Dave

I'll have to go back and look at mine, but it didn't take very long at all to install. I do have a hoist, which made it easier to get under the car. I do rememberber unplugging the harness from the lights and plugging in the new harness. The other end went to the power side of the starter, the relays remain in the new harness, the old headlight wire went into the new harness to excite the relays. It may well have taken more than the 10 minutes I stated. It really didn't take very long and it really wasn't very complicated. The original wiring remains completely intact, just unhooked from the headlights. I bought another for my 57 Volvo and for a buddies 75 CJ5 it was that simple. I haven't installed either of the latter but there will be no difference in the installation procedure. The installation was just over a year ago and I am recalling from memory.....

None taken. Just figured I'd try and save you some time and keep you from cutting up your stock harness. I also realize that "Completely Unmolested" is not always an issue with all 240Z owners, so if you gotta cut it to make it better, by all means, please do so.

Most people not only like my harness for what it does, but it's ease of instal and lack of harm to the stock harness. The whole process is completely reversable if needed. Just unplug it, unmount it and make the stock connections. Done.

Dave

"Completely Unmolested"...Aha...now I have a much better understanding of the advice I got LOL

Yup, you get it now.

Some owners are what we like to call "Purist" and they don't like to cut or hurt their stock wiring in any shape or form. And I totally understand and respect that.

Their cars are more likely to pull in a Premium on the market, for originality and all factory-unmolested equipment. But the nice thing about my upgrades is the fact that they can use them, and go right back to stock in under 15 minutes. (for car shows, events and sales.

Yup, you get it now.

Some owners are what we like to call "Purist" and they don't like to cut or hurt their stock wiring in any shape or form. And I totally understand and respect that.

Their cars are more likely to pull in a Premium on the market, for originality and all factory-unmolested equipment. But the nice thing about my upgrades is the fact that they can use them, and go right back to stock in under 15 minutes. (for car shows, events and sales.

Hey! You talkin' 'bout me again? :cool:LOL