IGNORED

BP6ES v BPR6ES

Gary in NJ

Dunno... I use B6ES-11 in my '78 (per specs) and also use the NGK inductive wires. I used the same combo on my old '75, for a combined total of 15 years of daily driving. I never had any problems.

The most noise-critical component in both cars would have been the stereo. Yes, if I turn up the volume high enough on my current stereo, I can hear a tiny bit of noise, but only if I strain my ears. It's not at all objectionable. On my '75 (which had a cheaper, poor-student-variety stereo), I did have a bit of noise, but I simply installed a choke on the +12 wire, and the problem went away. Your ears will tell you whether there's a problem.

Our ECUs are quite primitive and are linear devices. They won't go crazy from electrical noise like the digital ones could.

• 2 years later...
On a related note. Any NGK"R" plug I have ever put into any running motor I have had to push home at some point. Everything from my ATV, my dirt and street bike, my snowmobiles, lawn mower, I have had to push home because of plug failure. They fail prematurely and I will NEVER put another R plug into anything I own. I'd put in a champion plug first! Now, a non NGK"R" plug, IF you can find them, are the best!

This is interesting, since I got the BPR6ES plugs for my 240. And it ran okay for 3 days, after that it began sputtering on acceleration. I took the plugs out and looked black sooted. I put back the B7ES plugs, and was running strong again. The B7ES also seems to color nice dark white in the middle, while the BPR6ES turns all sooted? Weird stuff...

I must admit, I'm not a fan of modern plugs in old cars..

The BPR6ES says made in france, the B7ES made in japan.. maybe it just hates France LOL

• 3 weeks later...
This is interesting, since I got the BPR6ES plugs for my 240. And it ran okay for 3 days, after that it began sputtering on acceleration. I took the plugs out and looked black sooted. I put back the B7ES plugs, and was running strong again. The B7ES also seems to color nice dark white in the middle, while the BPR6ES turns all sooted? Weird stuff...

I must admit, I'm not a fan of modern plugs in old cars..

The BPR6ES says made in france, the B7ES made in japan.. maybe it just hates France LOL

The B7ES is a different heat range would attribute the difference of plug condition to this than country of origin!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

My experience with my 71 was interesting. BP6ES always worked fine over decades. When I changed spark plug wires to copper I had massive radio static which I eliminated with Volkswagen Beetle spark plug boots, They screw into the wire and have a resister in them. This eliminated the static and I never had a problem with them and they didn't effect the performance in any way.

Good Luck

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Tech Service Bulletin TS71-21 issued 3/30/71 changed the spark plug spec in L24s to BP6ES applicable to current production as well as earlier engines. Reason given was a wider heat range for plugs with projected tips.

The R added to the number indicates an internal resistor to suppress radio static. Not required if your high tension leads incorporate resistors.