IGNORED

Earthquake Alert in CA?

DeMoore

Did anyone else hear anything about an "imminent" 9 point something earthquake in SoCal within the next 48 hours? I heard that local police were alterted, and that has been verified, but others are saying that it's a hoax. Just thought it might be worth mentioning for the protection of our families (and Z's). It's supposed to center around San Diego. Like I said, some are saying it's a hoax, but I have confirmed that the LA Sheriff's Department has been put on notice. Apparently, the info came from someone high up there on the info ladder, but I thought I'd check to see what you all had heard.

Spreading rumors serves no useful purpose. I found this in 10 seconds with google from a somewhat more reliable source.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/04/california-sees-increase-in-earthquake-sesimologists-fight-twitter-rumors.html

Don't you love the information age....

Edited by zKars

Yeah, I've seen that, I was just wondering why the Sheriff's Department would have been notified. The source that I heard it from was from wasn't unreliable in any way, but that doesn't mean that it was accurate. They just could have been wrong. It wasn't from twitter, either. Just wondering if anyone else had info from higher up than I do.

Probably. They worked for the city, in some "they-would-know" department, but other than the trend that's been shown, I don't see why the next 48 hours would matter, either. Maybe bottled water sales are down and they're trying to boost sales. :) Now I'm thinking that maybe the alert to the Sheriff's was in case enough people heard the rumor.

Edited by DeMoore

May be moving to LA in a few years for work; do insurance policies out there cover earthquake damage, like if the roof of my garage were to collapse down on to my precious Z during a quake?

Earthquake coverage is a separate policy or an additional cost item on your policy, in my experience. It is not an automatic thing. And it may be difficult to buy in an area known to be quake-prone.

Earthquake coverage is a separate policy or an additional cost item on your policy, in my experience. It is not an automatic thing. And it may be difficult to buy in an area known to be quake-prone.

I look out my kitchen window and see the San Andreas Fault on the other side of the Valley. I'll be among the first to know when the BIG ONE hits. As for earthquake insurance, I have it, it's expensive, and there's a huge deductible.

The prevailing wisdom tends to suggest going without it and in case of major structural damage from a quake, torch the house and put in a fire claim.

Dennis

Since when can we predict earthquakes? Did I miss something while I was immersed in my 240Z resto-mod project? I should get a radio or TV in the garage huh?

I once met a guy that was visiting NY from San Diego, and he swore up and down that hover boards were the latest and greatest invention. Yes, like the ones in Back to the Future 2. He swore they were real!

Edited by cygnusx1