IGNORED

Question about 240Z vs 280z body

Norway

Hi.

Im new here. Sorry if this is somehow a stupid question.

I tried to place this in the correct place, but im not sure.

Ive been reading here on the forum and i have to point out this is NOT a discussion of whats the better car!

****** (if you dont want to read my thoughts just skip down to the question)

Im looking into getting a Z. Here in norway they are hard to come by. We have the salty sea air and we even put salt on the roads to keep them from freezing over. Needless to say: Rust is the most common death of cars here in norway.

The Zs available are mostly expencive imports that are already shipped to norway or are ready to be shipped from the us. These are usually already rebuilt. Im looking to buy a original car and just lightly modifying it with exhaust, rims etc (no racing or turbo etc.)

Ive been thinking about what would be the best car for me (240,260,280). I like the fact that the 280z is heavier and a more solid construction(getting older and thinking more about safety). Another big plus is the fuel injection.

But i really dont like the look of the 280zs bumpers (my oppinion). A 280zx is out of the question because of its more modern design.

So the question is: Whats the difference between a 240z vs a 280z when it comes to the exterior (body)?

If buy a 280z, replace the bumpers with 240/260z bumpers what would be the difference? Im mostly thinking visual here. Ofcourse a expert could tell a 280 from a 240, but to a untrained eye? Are the bodies shaped the same or did they change anything?

Once again sorry if its a stupid question placed in the wrong part of the forum.

Christofer

Edited by Norway

For the most part they are the same externally. Where the bumpers mount to the body is different on both. The 280Z has heavier duty mounts on the rear, and larger shocks on the front. The front facia under the headlight buckets is completely different on the 280Z being deeper and wider to accept the larger bumper. I've seen the 240Z styled bumpers put on 280's and I recall them looking a little awkward without some body work.

Oh, the parking lights are different also. The 280Z has them in the grill right under the hood (I prefer for some reason) while the 240 has them under the bumper mounted under the headlight buckets.

The actual sheet metal is pretty much the same between the cars. There is some more sound insulation, as well as better splash guards in the wheel wells. The 280 has some better environmental protection, but is still prone to rustout in the same places as the 240. The tail lights are different between the two models as well.

One more thing that comes to mind...the hood has hood vents to the rear on the 280 while the 240 didn't. There was a problem with vapor lock on the 260's which prompted Nissan to incorporate some sort of hood vent system.

To answer your question would it be easy to tell the difference.....yes it would. Anyone who knows about these cars with any time researching them would be able to spot it quickly.

Thanks guys.

You guys nailed it. Ive been googling and picking up bits and pieces here and there.

Ive been looking at pictures. Can anybody confirm that the latest 280z had cromed trim on the sides? Or was this an option?

Another question since i have this thread open. The 280z has basicly the same dash as earlier models yes? The cool round gauges? The zx had a more modern dash i think.

Looks like a 280 is the way to go for me =)

Edited by Norway

Thanks guys.

You guys nailed it. Ive been googling and picking up bits and pieces here and there.

Ive been looking at pictures. Can anybody confirm that the latest 280z had cromed trim on the sides? Or was this an option?

Another question since i have this thread open. The 280z has basicly the same dash as earlier models yes? The cool round gauges? The zx had a more modern dash i think.

Looks like a 280 is the way to go for me =)

Yep they pretty much have the same dash, there's a few minor changes but they all have the round gauges. I think the chrome stuff was a dealer option, I've seen it on 240z as well on 280z.

One more thing that comes to mind...the hood has hood vents to the rear on the 280 while the 240 didn't. There was a problem with vapor lock on the 260's which prompted Nissan to incorporate some sort of hood vent system.

Hood vent were on the 77 78 280z, the 75 76 model has a hood without vents.

To be honest only people who know the cars can tell. I get a lot of random people asking me what kind of car it is.

The main idea for me is the classic Zs lines. I think all of them are beautiful (maybe not so much the zx, but still). Just waking up and looking outside and seeing that body and knowing that i could drive it whenever i wanted is enough. Ive never seen a 280z in real life. Ive seen one 240 and a 260 2+2 in town a couple of times but it seems no one in town has one (at least not running). So i dont think anybody is gonna give me any lip for it being a 280 and not a 240.

And if the 280 is a bit more solid, has fuelinjection (im a not that old. Ive spent my days in the garage finding electric problems. not tuning carbs). As a plus it seems that the 280z is less attractive to some of the diehard 240 collectors i might get my dream car cheaper.

I could always stroke the 2.8 if i wanted to but im not really looking for my future Z to be a race car.

The rear quarter panels of a 280Z do not have indentations for the 240Z style bumper sides. However, the 240Z bumper will still fit the rear of the 280Z. That is the only "apparent" external difference in sheet metal. Smooth rear quarter panels. Of course the rear valence is different to accomodate the bumper shocks of the 280Z. I have owned a 76 280Z since 1989 and just finished a semi-restoration of a 1972 240Z. There are differences everywhere if you look close enough. From 20 feet, it's just bumpers and lights.

88437376_n5CsL-XL.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

I meant the sheet metal itself.

I know you did. There were changes to the S30 chassis over the years. Very easy to spot the difference between a 240Z chassis and a 280Z chassis if you know what to look for.

Outwardly they look almost identical, but they aren't.