IGNORED

Still No Love at Barrett-Jackson

bigoak

Sold at the Palm Beach 2010 auction for a measly $6,875.00 this weekend. Not a perfect car, but nice...

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/onlinesubmission/lotdetails.aspx?aid=323&ln=317&pop=0&it=1

For posterity's sake:

Barrett-Jackson Lot: 317 - 1977 DATSUN 280Z 2 DOOR COUPE

Lot Number: 317

Auction: PALM BEACH 2010

Sale Price: *$6,875.00

Year: 1977

Make: DATSUN

Model: 280Z

Style: 2 DOOR COUPE

Exterior Color: ORANGE

Interior Color: BLACK

Cylinders: 6

Engine Size:

Transmission: 4-SPEED MANUAL

Summary: Complete restoration including new balanced and blueprinted motor, new clutch, new upgraded Neoprene suspension, new brakes, new radiator, new fuel injection wiring harness and all new weather strip. Super clean.

Details: Complete restoration including new balanced and blueprinted motor, new clutch, new upgraded Neoprene suspension, new brakes, new radiator, new fuel injection wiring harness, all new weather strip and too many other parts to list. Super rare, uncracked original dash, factory air conditioning and upgraded 15" Turbo ZX wheels with brand new performance tires.

89573_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

89573_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

89573_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

89573_Interior_Web.jpg

89573_Engine_Web.jpg

actually I think that is an outstanding price for a 280 in that condition (probably hit in back at some point). It is a nice car otherwise.

Part of me is kind of hopeful they never get too expensive. If they do, they will be out of reach for the average person who wants one and whats left of NOS parts will vanish.

A Z is not an investment, it's a way of looking at life. What are they worth? to those of us who love them - more than they will ever sell for

I think that is a relatively good price as well. It has several things that typically are not what most barrett jackson buyers want.

They usually want a first gen of a model... so definitely a 240Z would bring the bigger bucks

They love originality. If the car has been original even with the big bumpers, it would have brought more

They love survivors. A rebuilt engine and totally modified bodywork is a sign that at one time things may have gone amiss

They are not so big on restomods. Which is what this really is. You have to find that one buyer who loves your vision of the Z as much as you did.

All in all, I think this bodes VERY well for the collectibility of the Z's.

Based on the description of what was done to the car, how much profit could there really be selling it for that price? I'd have to agree with Bigoak. "Still no love".

Edited by sblake01

Don't forget many times the photos look better than the car in person, you never know what the buyers saw. If you can't bother putting the emblem behind the rear window on the driver side, what else was skipped? I think that it was a good deal on both ends for a personalized 280

Based on the description of what was done to the car, how much profit could there really be selling it for that price? I'd have to agree with Bigoak. "Still no love".

True, but you can say that about 95% of the cars sold at Barrett Jackson. You see fully restomodded 50's and 60s cars and musclecars, with probably 100 tp 125 thousand dollars in the resto, and they sell for 55k. It is normal to lose your shirt on reselling a hotrod. If you recoup half of what you put into them, its pretty darn good.