IGNORED

headlights and turn signals dont work.

Devil_Z

hi i have a 71 240z and well my turn signals don't work either on the dash (the green arrows don't show up) and the taillights wont flash. and now to top ti off my headlights and dash lights wont work either

turn signals

- i checked all the fuses in the center console

- the hazards work so i know its not the bulbs

- the flasher relay works (bought a new one thinking that was the problem)

headlights and in dash lights

-bulbs work

-fuses work fine

-the wipers work

i have read other forums on the turn signal problem and they all say check the flasher but that wasn't it and the headlights the same.

any information on what to do or check will be greatly appreciated

thank you

i changed both since the hazard was all ready going slow, i also fixed the headlights turns out there was just a loose cable, i checked for loose cables on the turn signals as well but still no luck

when you say you checked the fuses, how did you test them?? I ask because just looking, doesn't work. Pull each and every fuse, test it with an ohms meter, clean the fuse clips and give them a little squeeze to make sure they're holding the fuses good and tight when you put them back in.

Test the green wire on the turn signal flasher (under the dash). It should have power with the key in the ON position. If you don't have power at the green wire then the fusebox needs to be checked again.

If you have power at the green wire at the flasher, with the key ON, then you should also have power at the green wire on the trun signal switch. It's on the metal switch in the middle. If there's power there, then turn on the turn signal (left or right) and test the outer wires on that switch (white/red, green/white OR white/black, green/red) If there's no signal at those wires, then the switch needs to be repaired.

Let us know what you find.

Dave

Have you owned this z for a while and did the signals work prior while driving .I ask because when I bought my 71 Z , I had no working signals so I did what you have done and the fix came in the way of re-building the switch . I was able to do my own although I know that Dave from the above post will fix it up right for you .

Chris

ok sorry i took so long to update but i finaly got them working i checked for a short and ended up replacing the fuses and replacing that green wire and that did the trick :)

thanks alot for the help and lets hope i never have to deal with electrical problems again haha

Good to hear ya got it. So now I'll suggest an electronic flasher for your Z. They are a circuit instead of a Thermal load, which means they require less resistance to operate. Less resistance is better on the wires that typically fail, such as your green wire.

They run about $8, plug in just like your old one and have a consistant flash timing, not messed with because of low voltage at idle. I use them in all my Z's and have seen much less deteriation on the contacts of the turn signal switch. I rebuild them on the side and pull mine every once in a while just to check.

Similar to this one but yellow and only 15 amps and 12 volts.

fl32.jpg

Good to hear ya got it. So now I'll suggest an electronic flasher for your Z. They are a circuit instead of a Thermal load, which means they require less resistance to operate. Less resistance is better on the wires that typically fail, such as your green wire.

They run about $8, plug in just like your old one and have a consistant flash timing, not messed with because of low voltage at idle. I use them in all my Z's and have seen much less deteriation on the contacts of the turn signal switch. I rebuild them on the side and pull mine every once in a while just to check.

Similar to this one but yellow and only 15 amps and 12 volts.

I have a '78 model Z and wanted to replace my flashers because I have the dash out and it is good cheap maintenance. I am also changing my bulbs over to LED and know that I probably will need a different flasher unit - So with all of that said, is there a Flasher Unit that you can recommend?? Is it the same as you already mentioned in the earlier post?

Thanks.

If the turn signal lights in the dash will be LED but all the exterior lights (taillights, sidemarkers and front markers) are all standard bulbs (non-LED) then just use the one I suggested above.

If you're changing the taillights or front marker/turn signal lights to LED, then use one of these.... Self adjusting for LED applications. Just ground the ground wire and connect the other 2 terminals like normal.

http://www.bulbtown.com/EF32RL_ELECTRONIC_FLASHER_p/ef32rl.htm

2FNE7_AS01.JPG