IGNORED

Fuel injected to carb swap?

zalex

I've been searching these forums and google to find a basic efi to carb "how to" type thing, but I must be missing it. I'm a beginner, so a point in the right direction towards a website or a basic checklist would help.

My story is my head was warped off my 1978 280z, so I was given a decent head, e88, for a 1972 240z. I have it installed, finding out the fuel injected manifold won't fit, I've decided to use the parts I was also given to convert it to carbed, stock carbs and manifold, airbox.

Do I need a new fuel pump or just a regulator? Do I need a different computer, or do carbs not use one? Is there anything else I need?

I've been searching these forums and google to find a basic efi to carb "how to" type thing, but I must be missing it. I'm a beginner, so a point in the right direction towards a website or a basic checklist would help.

My story is my head was warped off my 1978 280z, so I was given a decent head, e88, for a 1972 240z. I have it installed, finding out the fuel injected manifold won't fit, I've decided to use the parts I was also given to convert it to carbed, stock carbs and manifold, airbox.

Do I need a new fuel pump or just a regulator? Do I need a different computer, or do carbs not use one? Is there anything else I need?

Carbs don't use a ECU (computer). I'm pretty positive you'll need a new fuel pump. EFI requires high PSI level (can't remember exact number but it's 25+ PSI for sure) to run properly while carbs need like 2 PSI.

You'll properly also need a new fuel filter, the 280z ones are designed for high PSI.

That's all I can think of but let others weigh in because I'm more than likely forgetting things.

Okay, my friend is giving me a part that goes bolts onto the head, near the timing chain, on the passenger side (for lack of a better way to express the side). Is that the fuel filter?

That is the mechanical fuel pump......you'll need the eccentric for the front of the cam.

Confused, I need something in addition to the mechanical fuel pump? I'm getting it for free so might as well put it in.

a mech. fuel pump requires you to have a "lobe" at the end of you're cam shaft, it turning in an off center manner provides the movement for the fuel pump to operate. is you're camshaft equipped with this or not is the question.